Video Screencast Help

Error Backing up Microsoft Exchange 2010 with BE 2012

Created: 07 Nov 2013 | 3 comments

I am getting this error when trying to backup Microsfoft exchange 2010 with Backup Exe 2012

error: V-79-57344-65233 - snapshot Technology: Initialaztion failure on information store. Snapshot technology used: Microsfoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS)

Snapshot technology error (0xE000FED1): A failure occurred  querying the writer status.

Writer Name: Exchange Server, Writer ID {76FE1AC4-15F7-4BCD-987E-8E1ACB462FB7}, last error: The VSS Writer failed, but the operation can be retried (0x800423f3). State: Waiting for backup complete notification (5).

The Microsoft Exchange options in Backup Exe are set to unticked, unticked, and continue with the backup if the consistency check fails is ticked plus High Availability Server (Exchange 2007 or Later) is set to Back up from passive copy and if not available, try the active copy (recommended).

I have tried a lot of different combinations with the same type of error. I have looked at the discussion about this error but all seem to be with earlier versions of Backup Exe.

Can you help with this

Operating Systems:

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

A reboot of the Exchange server will clear up the VSS problem

You can try explicitly selecting the VSS provider.  See below

BE 2012 - AOF, use MS provider.png

lmosla's picture

I always feel like this is such a blanket statement but there are so many times issues are resolved by making sure that live updates have been run and the agent pushed out to remote servers.... have they?

Jaydeep S's picture

Additionally, are you using Advanced Open File Option. Turn this off for the Exchange Backup job.