Groupe des Utilisateurs Altiris Suisses et Francophones Group

View Only
  • 1.  Error: CanProcessMoreDatabaseWork, Skipping because, over the max 5000

Posted Sep 24, 2012 06:04 PM

Logs:

ClientTaskExecutionEngine::CanProcessMoreDatabaseWork():  Skipping because we have 7522 sleeping tasks, which is over the max 5000","Altiris.TaskManagement.ClientTask.*","AtrsHost"

• hum, which 5'000 is it about ? Can we extend using NSconfig or CoreSettings ?
    • What are the result, never executed cutom inventories ? or delayed ?

also got a lot of:

BaseXmlHttpCallback Exception: System.Exception: An exception occurred while executing the request ---> System.Exception: System.Exception: Slow the flow

That is

KNOWN ISSUE: System.Exception: System.Exception: Slow the flow...

Article:TECH192438  |  Created: 2012-07-05  |  Updated: 2012-07-05  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH192438

Well, I would like to understand what's going on those...

Near 9000 clients, but only for using inventory, and custom inventory, into tasks?... I feel the problem also into DS/TS part the NS7.1, all the same sp2...

We extend an additionnal TASK server: max 7500 clients, with exceeding allowed, and keep 3'000 max the NS himself... Is it really necessary to extend a 3rd server to a second Task server, and reduce or remove TS on the NS himself ?

Thanks your input.

• 2.  RE: Error: CanProcessMoreDatabaseWork, Skipping because, over the max 5000

Posted Sep 25, 2012 03:25 AM

I seem to remember that you shouldn't have too many Task Clients on the NS itself. Max 500 is the figure I have in my head.

A second Task Server would be the first thing I'd do.

Found it:

"Use the following guidelines to configure task services within your infrastructure:
    ■ Symantec recommends at least one task server per Notification Server. After
    the initial dedicated task server, add additional task servers for every 5,000
    to 7,500 endpoints."

From the May 12 version of the ITMS Implementation Guide, Chapter 3 "Planning for IT Management Suite", About planning your site servers p67.

So you should have two Task Servers.

• 3.  RE: Error: CanProcessMoreDatabaseWork, Skipping because, over the max 5000

Posted Sep 25, 2012 05:08 AM

You might have to modify the default assignement for clients (Task Service Settings) to Task Server (not over 5000 client per Task Server) as the NS is also a Task Server and as it was said in the previous post, the NS itself can only handle 500 nodes.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Cédric DUBIE

• 4.  RE: Error: CanProcessMoreDatabaseWork, Skipping because, over the max 5000

Posted Oct 01, 2012 10:37 AM

Hi, thanks a lot both your feedbacks:

Yes, As I said:

• 1st we were already created an additionnal TASK SERVER, for sure. :)
    • 2nd we clone the Task server settings: one for the NS: put 3000 max strict, yes should be max 500, and one for the additionnal TS: with 7500 clients max, allowing above.

And yes, that is not the ITMS "best practices sizing" telling us max 500 Task service's clients on the NS, but we are "Inventory solution" only, and you know the "number of supported clients" is depending the number of active solutions ;-)

No, the 2 questions are:

• What is this max 5000 sleeping tasks ? Seems not a max clients (all the same for sure, less clients per Task server, less "sleeping tasks").
      It looks
    • What are the consequence: Dropping jobs, or delay them ?

If nobody knows, we will create a support case escalation. Best regards.

• 5.  RE: Error: CanProcessMoreDatabaseWork, Skipping because, over the max 5000

Posted Oct 03, 2012 01:16 AM

Yes. I was thinking something like that, but would be sure, and what happens those 2500 sleeping above 5000 ?

• 6.  RE: Error: CanProcessMoreDatabaseWork, Skipping because, over the max 5000

Posted Oct 03, 2012 04:36 AM

Just a guess, "sleeping tasks" are ones not delivered to a client but not timed out either.

I have seen customers confused over Inventory policies who have duplicated them by mistake so a client will have two or more identical inventories targeted to it. If you look at an active client's agent > Task Status tab > Task history does it only have the number of Inventory tasks you expect?