Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  "Error code 100000be" after restoring Sysprep image

Posted Apr 19, 2012 06:56 PM

After imaging a Dell OptiPlex 990, the system throws the following error on first boot:

"System has recovered from a serious error"
    Error code 100000be, parameter1 01000000, parameter2 62f88025, parameter3 a8670950, parameter4 0000000a.

The error only occurs on the first boot (after login/on the desktop), and not subsequent ones. From what I can tell, the error code 100000be refers to some type of driver problem, but I wasn't able to dig up anything more specific. There don't seem to be any functionality issues with the system, and no devices (hidden or otherwise) are showing any errors in Device Manager. Event Viewer shows no errors or warnings other than the above.

Here's the kicker: If you simply Sysprep the machine and reboot, the error doesn't occur, so I'm assuming this has something to do with a file that Ghost doesn't copy into the image.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this?

• 2.  RE: "Error code 100000be" after restoring Sysprep image

Posted Apr 19, 2012 08:27 PM

Does your image do this on any other systems?  The message would suggest that the original system had the error when it was imaged - perhaps it was not shut down cleanly.

Is there anything in the event logs to suggest the nature of the error?

Aside from that, which version of Ghost are you working with and what operating system are you imaging?

• 3.  RE: "Error code 100000be" after restoring Sysprep image

Posted Apr 19, 2012 10:12 PM

No, oddly enough this is the only model. I guess my confusion is why a simple Sysprep + reboot doesn't generate the error, but if you Sysprep it, pull the image off, put it back on, and reboot, it does... Very strange.

The only error in the event log is the one in the OP, which simply states the error code and parameters.

The OS is Windows XP SP3 and the version of Ghost is 11.5.

I'm half convinced that human error is at the root of this, but the whole thing just seems odd...

• 4.  RE: "Error code 100000be" after restoring Sysprep image

Posted Apr 20, 2012 04:54 AM

I'm not familiar with the specifics of this Dell model, but what sort of hard disk does it come with?  Many high capacity hard disks now come with "Advanced Format" and use 4K sectors instead of the 512 byte sector standard that has existed since the first PC came out.  For these drives it is occasionally necessary to ensure that the partition falls on a cylinder boundary. It's a long shot but I can't think of anything else that would fit in with your scenario.

Here is a posting by Nigel Bree, one of the Ghost developers, about 4K sector drives:

Ghost and 4K sector sizes

Actually we knew all about this - it's not like this move was unanticipated, by us or Microsoft - and the reason we never said much about it is that just as with SSDs, pretty much nothing stops working and there's nothing anyone actually really needs to do.

Support for this was put in place with Vista; it's that OS which broke with the long-established convention in PC operating systems that filesystem partitions should be cylinder-aligned, and by default uses partition table layouts where partitions are aligned on 1Mb boundaries. The system wasn't aware of the sector size of the drives in question, Microsoft just unilaterally changed the rules for partition layout, and much of the work done in Ghost itself for GSS 2.0 involved honouring that layout set by the OS in the source image (that and finding and removing all the places where over the years, cylinder-alignment was an unwritten assumption in the code so that things broke when processing non-cylinder-aligned data).

Microsoft made this change precisely to anticipate the move to drives that are natively 4k-sector, and so from an engineering perspective once we'd adapted to it we were confident that we'd done everything necessary, and that once vendors actually produced these drives we were confident that was the case. During 2010 my colleage Robert Chester worked with 4k-sectors drives supplied to us as engineering samples from drive manufacturers (and with other drives to validate >2Tb capacities, incidentally) to validate Ghost's handling, and things worked precisely as we had expected.

That alignment switch actually comes from the Vista work done in Ghost Solution Suite 2.0 and really it's there to override Ghost's natural behaviour if for some reason it was to make a mistake in detecting the particular partition alignment factor used in the source image (and lots of the Ghost switches are like that, they exist not to be be used routinely but rather as "in case our logic for detecting this behaviour for you turns out to be insufficient").

The big thing is that 4k drives still work just fine in old systems; in fact, hard drive throughput improves generally so fast over the years that in most cases if you were replace a failed drive in an XP system with a 4k one and do absolutely nothing (leaving it misaligned) it'll not only work fine it'll almost certainly still be faster than the drive it replaced.

Basically, these have actually already been in the market quite a decent while; Western Digital in particular were manufacturing 4k-sector drives for over a year and Toshiba were also doing so. If you're using Vista or Win7 there's almost certainly no need for any Ghost user to do anything, and you're still primarily using Windows XP then it's entirely up to you whether to bother or not.