Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Error code 1089 if using global excludes

Created: 20 Nov 2013 • Updated: 06 Feb 2014 | 9 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hello,

I'm working with SWV 7.5.522 under Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64 and I've found a bug while trying to do the same that we do under our Windows 7 x86 installation (SWV 6.4.1550).

The problem is the following: if we add global exclusions for drive letters that doesn't exist in the computer (we usually exclude D:\ to Z:\) when you try to do anything in SVSAdmin (create a layer, activate a layer, etc.) then you get an Unexpected error/Error code 1089 message.

We exclude all the drive letters for historical reasons. We've used a lot of SWV versions and we found a lot of bugs in the product while testing Windows 7 in the past. One of them was not exclude a network or USB drive letter, so data was written in the layer instead in the base for the actual drive letter. So, we have continued using the global exclusions for all non hard disk drive letters.

Can you test it in your environment? Is there any more recent version of SWV?

Thanks.

PS: Sorry for my english ...

Operating Systems:

Comments 9 CommentsJump to latest comment

ManelR's picture

Hi again,

Note that after you add a global exclude for a drive letter and its subdirectories that doesn't exist in the computer, you need to restart it to have SVSAdmin fail with the 1089 error message.

If you want to "solve" the problem, you can delete the the exclusion and restart again, SVSAdmin then works again as expected.

Any idea about this behaviour?

Thanks.

PS: In fact, when SWV doesn't fail with error, the exclusion for a drive letter that exists is ignored and data is saved in the layer instead of saving it to the base for the drive/partition excluded.

IT Systems Manager
LCFIB - Computing Lab
Barcelona School of Informatics
Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya - Barcelona Tech
balachandar_manimala's picture

Hello,

Thanks for bringing up this issue.

Firstly, Windows 8.1 is not a supported platform.

Is this reproducible on Windows 8? I am not able to so far....

A 1089 usually comes up if the driver is not loaded. Could you please copy a print screen of svscmd ver?

Now coming to second part of the post I believe a precise description would be "When a process running from a layer writes a file to a location that is represented as a local disk (external USB hard drive) the changes are written to layer RW and not to the disk even though the drive is set to globally exclude".

If this is right with 7.5.522, then yes we have that bug fixed in 7.5_SP1 that will be released in CY 2013 Q4 end.

Regards,

Bala

ManelR's picture

Hi,

First of all, I know that Windows 8.1 is not a supported platform but the problem is 7.5.522. We've tested it under Windows 7 x86 with the same behaviour.

Please see the attached ZIP files with a screen recording in Windows 7 x86:

- The first one is working (no error 1089) because there aren't any global excludes (only the default ones por DESKTOP and PERSONAL)

- The second one shows how to add a global exclude for a driver letter that doesn't exists in the computer (in this case X:\, the computer has only C:\ and D:\ partitions)

- The third one show the error 1089 after a reboot of the computer. It shows too that the driver seems not to be loaded because of this global exclude.

So, any idea about this problem? Can we test some new versions of SWV?

Thanks.

AttachmentSize
Windows7_7.5.522_WithoutGlobalExcludes.zip 1.27 MB
Windows7_7.5.522_AddingGlobalExcludes.zip 1.35 MB
Windows7_7.5.522_WithGlobalExcludes.zip 1.79 MB
IT Systems Manager
LCFIB - Computing Lab
ksreek's picture

One of the difference i can think of in handling drive letters betwwen 6.1 and 7.5 is that we handle drive letters in 7.5 using their Volume ID of the respective drive letter "DefaultFileRedirect" ..

I was able to reproduce the 1089 here. I initially able to create a Global exclude for Drive letter D (Has only one parition C - VM) and the layers were still operatable after restart. Later i realized that the drive letter D was assigned to DVD-ROM. Starting from drive letter E (Non-Existent) i got 1089.. So Investigating....

For the second part of the issue in your original Post , i would vote to "Balachandar_manimala" comment that it is someting we have fixed in upcoming. "When a process running from a layer writes a file to a location that is represented as a local disk (external USB hard drive) the changes are written to layer RW and not to the disk even though the drive is set to globally exclude"

BTW, I have seen a Recent Symantec Support case from "Licenses LCFIB" and hoping to get in touch with your team soon.. -ksreek-

ksreek's picture

Error 1089 - "FSL2_ERROR_DRIVER_INVALID_STATE" is the appropriate response to return if the
user attempts an operation that requires the driver, but the driver is not loaded. Try running ''sc query fslx.sys' in a elevated command prompt and see the driver state there to determine the status

Error 1089 in THIS PARTICULAR USE CASE OULINED IN THE ORIGINAL POST is likely to be caused by design . As already stated in my above comment We have changed the driver to support mounted volumes in 7.5 , which can be instantiated without a drive letter, therefore the version 7.5 driver is not drive letter-aware and uses volume GUIDs instead. So adding non-existent drivers will not return the GUID and toss the SWV driver resulting in 1089

Secondly, to get rid of the data loss issue try using the 7.5 HF1 available in the bottom of the thread while avoid adding any non-existent drives to the Ignore list of 7.5

Cheers

SOLUTION
jovrstra's picture

Any news on the release for SP1?

I had big problems with loosing files after they were not written to the USB storage...

Also, any news on a fix for the 1089 error?

On my system, it seems that once it shows the error 1089, I cannot get SWV operational anymore (removing the excludes does not fix it). I could not activate/deactive/reset layers and ended up deinstalling SWV, deleting fslfdr (from a linux boot), reinstalling SWV, only to notice that the registry things were not cleared. So I had to repeat all steps, but manually clear the registry also. After that, the new installation worked...

In the mean time, what is the current best way to write things to a USB disk from an application in a layer?

Thanks,

Jörg

balachandar_manimala's picture

Update on :Virtualized applications are saving data to the writable sublayer instead of the external drive (USB).

This is also fixed in 7.5_HF1

7.5 HF1 download link:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO95006

Release Notes:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO95007

ManelR's picture

Hi everyone,

Sorry for not reading this post for a long time :-(

7.5 HF1 update solves the problem for data leaking to the layer instead of the base for an excluded drive.

And this versions don't need anymore to exclude all the drive letters because it handles USB drives correctly (the data goes to the drive instead of the layer as expected). So, no need to add all drive letters to the exclusion list and then no error 1089.

Thanks to Symantec support for helping us in this case.

IT Systems Manager
LCFIB - Computing Lab
jovrstra's picture

I installed 7.5 HF1, but have not yet had time to test everything.

Thanks for posting back and confirming that it works. smiley