Endpoint Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  Error during upgrade SEEMS from 7.0.8 to 8.2

Posted Aug 30, 2011 01:49 AM
      |   view attached

Welcome,

During upgrade Management Sever (SEE Full Disk) from 7.0.8 to 8.2 I received an error:

Error executing SQL script UpgradeGEMSDb_960. Line 541. Could not create constraint. See previous errors. (1750)

Previous errors are:

1: ADO Error: Number: -2147217900 Description: Table 'HardDisksInfo' already has a primary key defined on it. Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server SQL State: 42S11 Native Error: 1779

1: ADO Error: Number: -2147217900 Description: Could not create constraint. See previous errors. Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server SQL State: 42000 Native Error: 1750

1: There was a SQL scripting error at line 541. Aborting the setup.

MS SQL 2008

I'll be grateful for help.

Tom

• 2.  RE: Error during upgrade SEEMS from 7.0.8 to 8.2

Posted Aug 30, 2011 05:32 AM

...when performing the upgrade, and the permissions it has to the SEEMSDb?  There is reference in the installation guide to a "Database Upgrade Account", which needs elevated rights on the SEEMSDb (over what the normal Management Server service account has that is).

• 3.  RE: Error during upgrade SEEMS from 7.0.8 to 8.2

Posted Aug 30, 2011 07:23 AM

Thanks for your reply.

I was using sql account which has required permissions and perform upgrade according to installation guide.

When upgrade fails - setup uninstall current SEEM, then I was trying install ver. 8.2 and installation also failed. But old ver. 7.0.8 was installed without errors.

I have two Management Server connected to MS SQL database.

• 4.  RE: Error during upgrade SEEMS from 7.0.8 to 8.2

Posted Aug 30, 2011 08:26 AM

You have two Management Servers, both connected to the same(?) SQL Server and DB, and when attempting to run the 8.2.0 update on one Management Server, the other server is turned off?

Also, can you provide a bit more detail on what happens at the upgrade failure.  When the upgrade failed, the installation didn't roll back to 7.0.8, but removed the Management Server software entirely, is that correct?  And you were able to reinstall it as v7.0.8 but not 8.2.0, yes?

• 5.  RE: Error during upgrade SEEMS from 7.0.8 to 8.2

Posted Aug 30, 2011 08:41 AM

You have two Management Servers, both connected to the same(?) SQL Server and DB, and when attempting to run the 8.2.0 update on one Management Server, the other server is turned off?

Yes. Additionally before start upgrade I've stopped SEE site in IIS and synchronization with AD

When the upgrade failed, the installation didn't roll back to 7.0.8, but removed the Management Server software entirely, is that correct? And you were able to reinstall it as v7.0.8 but not 8.2.0, yes?

Excactly.

I have no idea what is wrong...

• 6.  RE: Error during upgrade SEEMS from 7.0.8 to 8.2

Posted Aug 30, 2011 09:01 AM

From the screenie and the log entries you posted, the error is happening when the upgrade software is attempting to update the database schema, and encountering an issue whereby it is trying to add a primary key to a table that already has one.

This means, either there's a problem with the schema update scripts, or the upgrade process is unable do what it needs to do to the database/table.

It's unlikely to be an issue with the schema update scripts, as the upgrade process just calls known working scripts in turn (i.e. the scripts are tried and tested from the previous version upgrades).  So this leaves the DB access thing.

At this point, I think your options are:

1. Call Symantec Support
    2. Backup/Copy/Restore the DB to a test machine or VM and try the upgrade again in an isolated environment where you can confirm there is only one Management Server connecting to the DB.
    3. Try upgrading via v8.0.1 (I know this works), then up to v8.2.0 (I know this works too)

To be fair, it would be best practice to do option 2 anyway considering the problems you've had so far, and run any other upgrade tests on the that environment.

• 7.  RE: Error during upgrade SEEMS from 7.0.8 to 8.2

Posted Aug 30, 2011 09:04 AM

1. Error 27506. Error executing SQL script CreateSEEMSDb. Line 185. Changed database context to 'master'. (5701)
    http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH92017

2. The following server roles are required in order to install or upgrade the SEEM database:

securityadmin
    dbcreator
    db_owner database role membership (for the SEEMSDB database)

while specifying the database Communication account detail?s; specify the password according to windows password policy.

This may be caused by a number of things but most likely there are already .mdf and .ldf files in the SQL data directory from a previous installation or previous failed installation.

• 8.  RE: Error during upgrade SEEMS from 7.0.8 to 8.2

Posted Aug 30, 2011 02:58 PM

I'll try option 2 - this let me know that the DB is corrupted or not.

3. Try upgrading via v8.0.1 (I know this works), then up to v8.2.0 (I know this works too)

I tried also - there was the same error.

Thanks