Endpoint Management and Virtualization Trusted Advisors Community merge into SED TA Community

• 1.  Error updating distribution points - 0x80040154 (NS6.0SP3-R13)

Posted Feb 01, 2011 07:22 PM

Hello all,

I'm optimistic that someone else has run into this (though doubtful).  Our NS in Brazil had a hardware failure with the RAID controller cache chips, and some data corruption occurred.   Needless to say this killed the NS.  I finally got it back up and running (after reinstalling several times and reinstalling R13), now the only evident problem is when saving a software Delivery package.  Apply works fine, but when you click "Update Distribution Points", you get an error in a pink box:

Unable to update the distribution points for the package. Reason: Class not registered

In the NS log we see the following errors (these are the only errors, even under Verbose logging):

Module: AltirisNativeHelper.dll

Source: PackageManager(31)

Description: FAILED_THROW 80040154

Module: AltirisNativeHelper.dll

Source: CAeXPkgManager2::RefreshPackageSnapshot

Description: Unable to refresh a package's snapshot. Last stage - Creating DOMs

My first thought when it mentioned "DOMs" was something with XML; but I have reinstalled the latest MSXML 4 and 6 on the server with no change, as well as run regsvr32 AltirisNativeHelper.dll.  I also note that the latest snapshot in the \notification server\Snapshots folder is from 1/26...but not sure at this point how that one was created either (it is some random Patch Management patch package from 2006).  Anyone have any other ideas?  I'm looking at having to rebuild this server...

Other things we've tried so far:

• Re-registered all the DLLs in C:\Windows\System32, the Altiris Shared directory, Notficiation Server, etc (for %i in (dir /s *.dll) DO Regsvr32.exe /s %i)
    • Reinstalled Server 2003 SP2
    • Reinstalled NS fully (several times...which took forever as it ultimately repaired all the solutions as well)
    • Ran sfc.exe /scannow against the server (which did fix a couple of DLLs)
    • Re-installed ASP.net (ASPNET_RegIIS -i)
    • Monitored with Altiris Profiler and SQL Profiler while re-creating the problem and didn't find anything that seemed of use

Any ideas?

• 2.  RE: Error updating distribution points - 0x80040154 (NS6.0SP3-R13)

Posted Feb 02, 2011 09:08 AM

I thought about the old stale codebases problem, but it sounds like you might have database issues too.

• 3.  RE: Error updating distribution points - 0x80040154 (NS6.0SP3-R13)

Posted Feb 22, 2011 12:32 AM

Thanks Jim.  We were considering migrating this NS to our HQ office anyway, so this just accelerated the timeline a bit.  My thinking is that it is something with the OS, some .DLL that is corrupted or not registered properly, and when the call is made (from AltirisNativeHelper.dll?) to update the snapshot, it craps out.  The odd thing is, I can import a package, and Patch packages seem to be OK (unless I try to "Update Distribution Points").  I have a ticket open on it (actually was working with Helen G!) but haven't received any new ideas as of yet.