Data Loss Prevention

View Only
  • 1.  Error while upgrading Enforce to 11.6

Posted Aug 17, 2012 02:19 AM

Error message is getting displayed, when we try to upgrade DLP enforce using 11.6 version upgrade file, please help me if any body have inputs regarding this.

• 2.  RE: Error while upgrading Enforce to 11.6

Posted Aug 17, 2012 07:35 AM

Can you provide the error message and/or a screen capture of it? How are you attempting to upgrade? Is it via the web GUI or manually?

• 3.  RE: Error while upgrading Enforce to 11.6

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 18, 2012 11:41 PM

There is a log file about the upgrade process, you can attach this log file for reference.

• 4.  RE: Error while upgrading Enforce to 11.6

Posted Aug 21, 2012 06:28 AM

I have the same problem.

If i use the System/Upgrade option it gives me the error message: There was an error uploading the file.

Also trying to do it manually through port 8300 doesn't work either.
    It doesn't even show up any more. Page not found...

I did the oracle 11.2.0.3 upgrade before above. Can this be the cause?

The version of DLP i currently use is the latest 11.5.1

Anyone got this sorted out?

• 5.  RE: Error while upgrading Enforce to 11.6

Posted Aug 21, 2012 11:43 AM

If it's just the error with uploading the file, it's pretty easily fixed (or rather, worked around), by following the manual upgrade process.  It's not uncommon at all for that upload to fail for one reason or another.  Seems to happen to me about 75% of the time, and it's not really even worth figuring out why because it's so easy to do it without using the upload process.

1. Start with your upgrader jar file.  Presuming your on Windows, just rename it to a .zip file.

2. Create a new directory in d:\Vontu\Protect\updates called something like "update-11.1.6".

3. Unpack the zip into that new directory.

4. Run the start_upgrade_wizard.bat file.

5. Wait for about 60 seconds or so for it to launch the upgrader.

6. Open a browser window and go to the URL: https://[enforceserver]:8300.  This should bring you to the log in screen for the upgrader UI. 

7. Follow the upgrader as normal.

All of this is documented in the upgrade guide, btw.  Review that first, please, as I'm just going from memory with the above steps, but that should be all you need to do.

~Keith

• 6.  RE: Error while upgrading Enforce to 11.6

Posted Aug 23, 2012 02:01 AM

Thanks Keith 

That didn't work either. Tried it earlier as by the manual with no results.

Though i have got it working and that was also in the upgrade guide but not very visible in my opinion.

What you need to do if nothing works as it did for me is to locate the files below and increase the value of max file size.

\SymantecDLP\Protect\tomcat\webapps\ProtectManager\WEB-INF\struts-config.xml
    \SymantecDLP\Protect\tomcat\webapps\ProtectManager\WEB-INF\struts-config-admin.xml
    \SymantecDLP\Protect\tomcat\webapps\ProtectManager\WEB-INF\struts-config-async.xml

Locate the following line in each file: <controller nocache="true" maxFileSize="500m"/>

In each file, change the value of the maxFileSize attribute to 1000m.
    For example: <controller nocache="true" maxFileSize="1000m"/>

That did the trick for me.

Hope this help others if they come across this problem.

/Oscar

• 7.  RE: Error while upgrading Enforce to 11.6

Posted Sep 04, 2012 08:03 AM

I also had this problem at a customer and at my office. There is an error uploading the .jar file. I have managed to update the DLP using the manual upgrade process.

Symantec, what happened with the update patch? :)

• 8.  RE: Error while upgrading Enforce to 11.6

Posted Sep 05, 2012 02:46 PM

Keith is correct here. We have been noticing this issue intermittently (in the field) with the upgrade. Using the manual process should work. I would also note that there may be an error when running the "start_upgrade_wizard.bat". I went through a manual upgrade on a system where the command window opened after running the batch file, and it has an error about a file not being found, though the upgrade still went through without a hitch following the manual process.

• 9.  RE: Error while upgrading Enforce to 11.6

Posted Sep 28, 2012 07:28 AM

Hi,

This worked for me, but I had to restart Vontu Manager service after changing the values.

The upload ran on timeout as well, but I waited until the file got uploaded to the C:\Vontu\Protect\updates\update-id-21 (or like) folder and it got unzipped.

Then I directed my browser to the https://localhost:8300 address and launched the upgrade process as usual.

Thanks,

Barnabas