Video Screencast Help

EV 10.0.4 outlook add-in unable to view anything in Search Vaults or AE

Created: 05 Apr 2014 • Updated: 12 Apr 2014 | 4 comments
KeirL's picture
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi

I have a client who are currently deploying outlook add-ins to their user base for a new EV 10.0.4R1 HF2 installation. They have to halt the deployment due to an experienced issue that is affecting all their users.

The archiving functionalality of storing and restoring emails works fine as does the opening of emails from shortcuts and virtual vault also works - In fact it all works with the excpetion of the Search Vaults and Archive Explorer buttons that simply show a blank field with "There are no items to show in this view"

I've referenced this forum post as this is precisely the same issue - please take a read and view the screenshot

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/versions-evclient-past-1002-fail-display-archive-explorer-or-search

Sadly the resolution for the post above hasn't worked for me - the Group Policy has all been switched off (or so I'm reliably informed)

I've uninstalled and re-installed the outlook add-in and tried 10.0.4 with and without the HF2 and also tried 10.0.3 and this two didn't work. However, like the post above, 10.0.2 does work without any problems.

If I access search vaults or AE via IE everything is fine and also if I change the advanced settings for the outlook buttons behaviour to launch in seperate browser this also works. The only things that doesn't work is when these buttons are set to launch SV or AE in Outlook. The user's outlook is Outlook 2010 and their Exchange is also Outlook 2010 throughout.

The customer doesn't want to roll out 10.0.2 as a workaround and I'm uncertain how to start to troubleshoot this.

I feel that there must have been something different between 10.0.2 (which does work) and 10.0.3 (or later) which doesn't work...... Any ides what this might be? Should I perhaps look at registry settings between the two to see what has changed.

kind regards

Keir 

Operating Systems:

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

Rob.Wilcox's picture

Client trace? .. With maximum logging.

Does that show anything?

 

I would also use Google, and validate this statement:

 

<snip>

Sadly the resolution for the post above hasn't worked for me - the Group Policy has all been switched off (or so I'm reliably informed)

</snip>

KeirL's picture

Thanks Rob

I'll run the client trace when I get the next opportunity (or more likely ask the customer to run it for me).

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by checking google - Are you just suggesting that I use google to ascertain of the Group Policy has been disabled? If so fine, I did check the policies that were set and they were only pertaining to password policies and desktop backgrounds. Nothing about MS Office or Outlook.

But I can only take the word of my customers security team that this was the case. My personnel view is that it must be environmental as I've never seen this before and done loads of 10.0.4 installs for many different customer so am sure I would have come across it before if it was a product issue - plus this forum would be crawling with similar complaints.

The customer's view is that - It works fine with 10,0.2 Add-In's with their full set of group policies enabled but doesn't with 10.0.3 or 10.0.4 what's changed between the versions? 

presumably if there were certain group policy settings that need to be disabled for search functions to continue to work in the later versions of the client then this would be documented in the realese notes.

thanks again

RichardG's picture

The mechanism used to display the EV web applications inside Outlook was changed to allow it to operate with Outlook 2013 where the previously used hooks were removed by Microsoft.

The EV add-in now uses a hidden folder and sets the home page URL on that folder to point at the appropriate EV web app.

Could try setting a home page on a test folder (set in properties of the folder) to prove or otherwise that a group policy has not disabled this Outlook functionality.

Richard.

 

SOLUTION
KeirL's picture

Thanks Richard - that's useful information

my customer was able to track this down to a registry setting 

HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\webview key [DWORD]disable

by setting this is a value the '0' the search buttons work as expected.