Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

EV FSA and Windows 2012 ReFS volumes

Created: 25 Sep 2012 • Updated: 25 Sep 2012 | 4 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi All,

I am considering migrating a fileserver running WS 2003, which is an EV FSA target, to WS 2012 using the ReFS and need to understand if Enterprise Vault supports this. My environment is EV 8.0 SP5 and i am planning on moving to EV 10 in the near future.

Apparently ReFS supports mainy NTFS features but doesn't support Hard Links, Named Streams or Extended Atttributes, are these used by EV FSA?

Is there an FSA agent for WS 2012 yet and are ReFS volumes supported?

If anyone has any info on EV FSA and Windows Server 2012 with/without ReFS volumes is would be appreciated.

Thanks

Darryl.

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

LCT's picture

No...not at the monent Windows 2012 is still being tested by Symantec as it was only released by microsoft very recently...please don't expect Windows 2012 to supported any time soon. Keep an eye on the Compatibility list.

You can try and test in test lab but for production it's probably not supported for a while yet.

LCT's picture

You might want to send a private message to Alex Brown (do a search on the forum, he has posted a blog regarding Exchange 2013, Windows 2012 and Outlook 2013 etc), the Product manage for EV regarding your question.

Hope that helps.

Darren Locke's picture

No, we will not be able to support ReFS file systems. As you point out there are a number of missing constructs which we currently use. The main one for us is named streams in the list you call out. There is a question mark over support for reparse points as well. We would like to support, but until Microsoft provide us with all the tools we need, we kind of have our hands tied.

Darren

SOLUTION
djbrown71's picture

Hi Darren, i think we met a month or so ago at GP and your input was very helpful.

I thought this might be the case ReFS, what about support for WS 2012 with NTFS do you think that will be coming soon?

Thanks

Darryl.