EV - migrating to new Centera
Our current 2 replicated Centeras are low on space so we're working with EMC to put in new, larger Centeras.
I have 5 separate vault stores, each containing a single partition. There are 5 Centera pools.
I've reviewed the procedure on pg 115 of "h6790-symantec-enterprise-vault-centera-wp.pdf" and have some questions:
EMC Centera migrations
In EV 6.0 or later multiple EMC Centera partitions can exist in a single Vault Store, which can be useful during EMC Centera hardware migrations
In this case, using the Vault Administration Console (VAC). all existing partitions pointing to the old EMC Centera will be closed, and new partitions will be created to archive against the new EMC Centera for all on-going data With this configuration, archiving activities mill not be impacted and users will be able to read from both closed and open vaults
BEST PRACTICE: How to migrate EV data from older to newer Centera hardware is as follows:
1. "Close" all current vaults, so that they are in read-only mode Consequently, no extra data is added to the old cluster, making this environment stable. - do they mean setting all vault stores into Backup mode? CONFUSING
2. Create as many vaults as currently exist, but pointing to the new cluster. All new writes/reads go there: the user should implement the virtual pools. and all other security configurations at this time (pools/profiles/PEA files, and so on). - do they mean creating new vault stores? If so, what about the existing archives on the old vault stores? CONFUSING
3. Now that the new environment is up and running. it is possible to start the migration process. one vault at a time This allows the company more control over the process, prioritizing the vaults to migate first. For each Vault:
Obtain the list of clips (savesets) to migrate (by vault). There are two ways for doing this:
- EV support tells the customer the list of clips or the SQL script to run against EV SQL database
- The customer generates the list using the EVSVR Utility for Enterprise Vault, included in EV 8.0 SP1 or later.
4. The customer provides a clip list to EMC Centera (Support or Professional Services) to perform the migration
5. Once migrated and a reconciliation has been completed, the old vault, which was closed, is reconfigured to point to the new EMC Centera (connection string) - I assume this means the partiiton in the vault store is pointed at the new Centera IPs, and new PEA file.
6. Repeat steps 3 - 5 as needed
7. Once all vaults are migrated, the old cluster can be disposed.