Video Screencast Help

EV9.0 / Exchange2003 - OWA not loading EV items after email-domain change

Created: 05 Feb 2013 • Updated: 06 Feb 2013 | 2 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi Guys,

scenario: Exchange 2003 (1x FrontEnd Server, 2x BackEnd servers), Enterprise Vault 9.0.4 server

we recently changed our corporate email (from eg. to this was reflected on the recipient policies on Exchange, with new policy added and old references removed (also removed using IIS Metabse explorer on Exchange server).  So technically, does not exist on our exchange organisation anymore.

Since this change, the OWA login for EV does not show the EV forms/toolbars nor does it open vaulted emails (IN OWA the emails which have been vaulted still show as the EV shortcut but when double clicking to open those email items, a new web page opens with no content - absolutely blank).  This is also the case when i login directly into OWA through the backend server e.g. https://localhost/exchange 

On the backend servers, I've reran the MakeEVServersTxt.wsf to make the evservers.txt file, and then ran the Symantec Enterprise Vault OWA 2003 Extensions.msi installer, then after that was done i ran the 'OWA and RPC' extension configuration.  These all completed without errors.

Any suggestions?

(EDIT - FYI these vaulted emails open fine in outlook)



Comments 2 CommentsJump to latest comment

ITDAP_COM's picture

When you install the extensions for Exchange 2003 it run an script that install the forms in the System mailbox for each store so if that address does not match with the new domain and the ini configuration files EVBackEnd.ini and EVFrontEnd.ini will not work.

First check on the AD user and computers the System mailbox smtp address but you will need to enable hidden object to see those objects.

Then you will need to run the script with a few options regdomain and or others but I don't recall the name at the moment but you can look at: Start > Programs > Enterprise Vault > Exchange Back-end Extensions Configuration > (OWA &RPC).

There is a technote for those parameters but I couldnt found it yet. The script will create an output and you can post it so I can see what is the domain that is trying to register.

Also you can take a look on this technote.

Troubleshooting OWA Extensions for Enterprise Vault 8.0 and later

If this response answers your concern, please mark it as a "solution"

benq's picture

Thanks for takign the time to reply.

I had a Symantec Engineer take a look at our setup and we found that running EVORT, reported the virtual directories  "EnterpriseVaultExchange" (inetmgr> websites > default website) was still pointing to the old email domain in the local path, whereas the "Exchange" virtual directory was pointing to the new email domain.

solution was to uninstall the EV OWA  add-in on all exchange servers, then reinstall.

then fixed!