Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Event ID 100 on Server 2012 R2 and BackupExec 2014

Created: 23 May 2014 • Updated: 27 May 2014 | 11 comments

Every day I get a flood of errors just like the one below.  Looking back through the Event Log it looks like this started around the time I upgraded Backup Exec 2014 Beta 2 to the RTM build.  It doesnt seem to be affecting anything, at least as far as I can tell.  Does anyone know what these errors mean?

Thanks,

Gary

Log Name:      Application
Source:        System.ServiceModel 4.0.0.0
Date:          5/23/2014 4:30:27 PM
Event ID:      100
Task Category: Tracing
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          XXXXXXXX\XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Computer:      XXXXXXXXX.XXXXXXXX.XXX
Description:
Tracing was not set up. Tracing will be disabled.
 Exception: System.InvalidOperationException: Etw registration failed with error code e.
   at System.Runtime.Diagnostics.DiagnosticsEventProvider.EtwRegister()
   at System.Runtime.Diagnostics.DiagnosticsEventProvider..ctor(Guid providerGuid)
   at System.Runtime.Diagnostics.EtwProvider..ctor(Guid id)
   at System.Runtime.Diagnostics.EtwDiagnosticTrace.CreateEtwProvider(Guid etwProviderId)
   at System.Runtime.Diagnostics.EtwDiagnosticTrace..ctor(String traceSourceName, Guid etwProviderId)
 Process Name: beserver
 Process ID: 7048

Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="System.ServiceModel 4.0.0.0" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49153">100</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>4</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-05-23T21:30:27.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>85100</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>XXXXXXXXX.XXXXXXXX.XXX</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXX-3603" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>System.InvalidOperationException: Etw registration failed with error code e.
   at System.Runtime.Diagnostics.EtwDiagnosticTrace.CreateEtwProvider(Guid etwProviderId)
   at System.Runtime.Diagnostics.EtwDiagnosticTrace..ctor(String traceSourceName, Guid etwProviderId)</Data>
    <Data>beserver</Data>
    <Data>7048</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Operating Systems:

Comments 11 CommentsJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

Did you push out the remote agent after doing the upgrade?

VJware's picture

ETW is event tracing for windows. Possibly, beserver is not getting registered for tracing. Try running a repair of .NET and BE as well.

Colin Weaver's picture

Just to add a comment - I just checked with a BE 2014 installed on Windows 2012 R2 and don't see the Application log problem you mention. As such it probably is some kind of local registration issue on your system causing the issue and the repairs mentioned by VJware may well be the best option to try. If they don't help suggest you log a formal support case.

Ghildebr's picture

I tried a repair of .NET and a repair of BE and neither fixed the issue. The errors are on the Backup Exec server so I don't think it will be an issue with the remote agent.  Am trying to get management to renew our Backup Exec maintenance so at this time I am out of contract and getting a support case open is probably not an option.  They still have a bad taste in their mouth from BE 2012.  This is in my test environment so hopefully I can find time soon to rebuild the system and see where that gets me.  I just hope I have time to prove this out before my beta key runs out.  Been using your product since the early 2000's when it was Veritas Backup Exec 8.0 and I have to say 2014 is back to the standard I expect from your company.

Gary

CraigV's picture

...have you considered grabbing copies of the Data/Catalogs folders (stop the BE services) and then uninstall BE 2014, before reinstalling it?

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

Ghildebr's picture

Yes, I tried that after I posted the last post.  Within 30 minutes I was getting the same errors.  This was prior to putting the saved data/catalogs folder back in place.  I then backed up the sql database and did a clean uninstall, made sure that all files and registry settings were gone, removed  sql database, rebooted and then did a fresh reinstall.  I did not even attempt to configure anything, just let the server sit there and run and within an hour I was receiving the errors about every minute or so.  If I cycle the Backup Exec Server service the errors stop.  Sometimes for 30 minutes sometimes for longer.  I am not sure what else, other than a complete rebuild, is left to try.  Just got to find time to do it.

Gary

CraigV's picture

BE 2014 is officially GA. Might be worth your while to upgrade to this, and run LiveUpdate to get any Day0 patches if they have been released.

Once done, push-install your updates to your remote servers and then try again!

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

Ghildebr's picture

Thanks for the reply Craig.  Unfortunately I believe this started somewhere between Beta 2 and BE-DVD-1786.0.Rev.2.  I first noticed this after the upgrade to the RTM build.  As I said in the initial post I am not having issues with either backups or the several test restores I have made.  The only thing out of the ordinary is I am still running with the Beta key.  I am not sure if that would make a difference on this issue or not.  This server use to be a BE 2010 R3 server that was upgraded to Beta 1 then Beta 2 to the RTM build.  Now it should be a clean install with only the BE 1786.0 Rev.2 bits.  I am probably at least 6 to 8 months away from a possible purchase, assuming I can get Management Approval.  We have moved to CommVault 10 and Veeam 7 and it is going to be a tough battle to get BE back in the door.  As I said earlier, this is in my home test environment and not production in any way.  I wish I could find somewhere to get a NFR key.  I had one that I used when it was BE 2010 R3.  Over the years I have assisted 10 to 15 companies with implementing a backup strategy and all of them I put on BE.  I am glad that Symantec has finally turned the corner.  Unless I get an answer for this issue I hope to find time the middle to end of this week to do the rebuild.

Gary

Ghildebr's picture

Just for an update to this issue.  I did the rebuild of the server over the weekend and even after the rebuild I am still getting the original error message.  I am guessing that this is due to using the Beta Key because after further research it looks like this particular error message may be occurring when Backup Exec automatically tries to register the software.  As I said originally, this doesn’t seem to be causing any issues with the functionality of the program, it’s just filling up the event log with errors.

Gary

Exception: System.InvalidOperationException: Etw registration failed with error code e.
   at System.Runtime.Diagnostics.EtwDiagnosticTrace..ctor(String traceSourceName, Guid etwProviderId) 

pkh's picture

The beta is over so the beta key would not be valid anymore.  You should get a proper key.

Also, you should use the final release for your new installation, rather than the RTM.

Ghildebr's picture

Yes I realize the beta is over.  I get the same error whether I have the Beta Key installed or if I have NO key installed and have it in Trial Mode.  By the way, according to the email I received the RTM build IS the Final Release.  Hopefully I can get Backup Exec back into our environment in the next 6 to 8 months.  We jumped ship when our renewal date came up a few years back due to the inability to get the Backup Exec 2012 software to work reliably. Backups are the one item that must work flawlessly in our business.

Gary

We are delighted to announce that Backup Exec 2014 is generally available! The RTM build which was released to all beta participants on May 16, 2014 is the final release of Backup Exec 2014. Please refer the link below for more details.
Thanks for your participation in the Backup Exec 2014 Beta program. We look forward to your interest and participation in our future Beta programs.
Best regards,
Backup Exec Beta team