Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Exchange 2007 on Backup Exec 2012

Created: 17 Dec 2012 • Updated: 18 Dec 2012 | 7 comments

I have Exchange 2007, and am trying to back it up using Backup Exec 2012.

Exchange is installed on Windows Server 2003 32-bit  (EDIT: Discovered this was actually a 64-bit OS, but problem still exists)

Backup Exec is installed on Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard (64-bit)

Management Tools is installed on the BE machine.

I add the Exchange server to the list of servers in BE, and remotely install the Windows Agent, but when I try to set up a backup job with that server, the Information Store is not visible.

Looking in the License Information screen (on the BE server), the Agent for Microsoft Exchange Server is listed (Licensed and Installed)

Any ideas of what I am doing wrong?

Comments 7 CommentsJump to latest comment

CraigV's picture

Hi,

Do the following:

1. Make sure that port 10000 is open on any firewall on the Exchange agent.

2. Uninstall the Agent for Databases and Applications from the media server, and then reinstall it.

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

Solution4all's picture

Hi,

Exchange 2007 installed on win 2003 32bit is not supported by Microsoft. You need to install exchange on 64bit. server.

The_Green_Ant's picture

Thanks for this bit of info.

I was not aware of this, and will look into moving that from a 32-bit to 64-bit server ... not going to be a fun task...

In the meantime, I will try some of these other suggestions and see if I can get it to work as is.

As the previous Backup Exec server was 32-bit, it would seem that there is an issue with the 64-bit accessing 32-bit Exchange.

Backup_Exec's picture

Hi

If you have by mistake written exchange 2007 installed on 32bit and if this is upgrade to BE 2012 and was working before then check the link below

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH187871

Installing remote agent on BE 2010 on the exchange server as a workaround and you would be able to see the Information store

If you dont have remote agent for BE 2010 then you would have to download the full ISO for BE 2010 r3 from link below

http://trialware.norton.com/files/fc/Backup_Exec_2010_13.0.4164_MultiPlatforms_Multilingual_DVD.iso

Thanks

Sameer

Don't forget to give a "Thumbs Up" or Mark as "Solution" if someones advice has helped you.

The_Green_Ant's picture

Hi all,

Sorry, but I screwed up the OP.

The Exchange server IS installed on a 64-bit OS.

I logged on and saw it was Server 2003, and assumed it was 32-bit since all our other 2k3 boxes are 32-bit.

So, both OS's are 64-bit and the problem still exists.

I will work on the other suggestions, but I have tried uninstalling the agent on the Exchange box and pushing it out again. That does not fix it.

The_Green_Ant's picture

I think I may have found the problem.

Following a trail of Technotes (thanks lmosla), I found that Backup Exec requires Exchange Management Console Service Pack 3 for it to work on Windows Server 2K8 R2

Our Exchange server is on a previous Service Pack, so I will upgrade that to Service Pack 3, and then apply the SP3 to the BE Server.

Needs to be done during downtime, so I will arrange that and try it out as soon as I can and let you know how it goes.