Video Screencast Help
Give us your opinion and win with Symantec! Please help us by taking this survey to tell us about your experience with Symantec Connect, so that we can continue to grow and improve.  Take the survey.

Exchange 2007 GRT Backup and Restore Performance - Is anyone else finding this unacceptable?

Created: 11 Aug 2010

OK, so we have been backing up our Exchange 2007 servers for quite a while using GRT backups in Backup Exec 12.5 now. Performance for the backup seems reasonable at up to 3,300 MB/min to LTO-4 Tape Library, so we thought all was well.

This is until we started to try and restore some mailboxes. I know this option is meant to be used primarily from a disk-based backup, but most of our restore requests come in for users that have left the company, so we generally need backups that are 1 - 3 months old, and there is no way we can keep all of those on disk. Our total Information Store is in the 3 TB (no, not a typo) range, some of our DB's are 250 GB.

I am currenlty doing some testing and it looks like restores from GRT run at the blazing speed of 120 MB/min, same LTO-4 Tape library, 15K disks, GB connections etc., so no bottleneck.

Am I the only one that thinks that this is really not a viable solution to backing up and restoring Exchange data? At this rate even a relatively small DB of 50 GB would take over 7 hours to stage, our largest store would take around 35 hours...... not practical.

Right now my plan is to switch back to non-GRT backups, but first I will try the tape-to-disk duplication option outlined in other posts, but even that seems sluggish.

Is there anything I am missing, anything that we should be doing differently? As I said the backup part looks good and works like a charm, but restoring anything is next to impossible.'

Thanks,
Karl