Video Screencast Help

Exchange 2013 retention...

Created: 11 Dec 2013 | 3 comments

We are planning our migration to Exchange 2013 and a red flag came up that we are trying to work through. We currently use Managed Folder Policies to set retention in EV, we have three buckets and users place email in them based on the number of years they need to keep the email. In Exchange 2013 these Managed Folder policies are not longer supported and we must convert them to Retention Tags. Based on what I can find on the net and my meeting with our Symantec SE Enterprise Vault knows nothing of retention tags and will not apply the correct retention to the email that it archives. So my question is what are other companies in our situation doing to make sure that future and present archived email is kept for the correct number of years? 

Operating Systems:

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

Rob.Wilcox's picture

Many people implement folders with specific retention categories on them using EVPM.

Have you considered that?

Donnal Spence's picture

I have but that is not ideal as folders change, new are created and our turn over rate is high. I would not feel that we are 100% accurate on retention settings for all mailboxes. 

Rob.Wilcox's picture

Was there any indication from Symantec of when they might support this, and does this tie in with your migration to Excange 2013-timelines?

What sort of folder / policy combination do you intend to have? Many people add (for example) top level folders called:

3Year

5Year

10Year

Using EVPM.. and make them non-deletable. You can even schedule the script to run once per day to ensure that all mailboxes always have the folders.