Video Screencast Help

Exchange migration 2003 to 2010, what do I do to Vault?

Created: 25 Mar 2013 • Updated: 01 May 2013 | 7 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi,

So for years we have had an Exchange 2003 environment, with 3 Virtual servers in a cluster.

We have Vault 10 pointing at this and everything was fine. E-mail archiving is happening on the mailboxes and all is well.

We have now almost finished Exchange mailbox migrations to new Exchange 2010 servers on the same domain.

My question is this.

1) How do I add the new 2010 servers, so the users will start archiving off again?

2) How do I safely remove the old 2003 server from Vault, as they will be switched off in a couple of weeks.

Any guidance you can provide would be very welcome.

Thanks

James

Operating Systems:

Comments 7 CommentsJump to latest comment

GertjanA's picture

Hello James,

Seeing you are running EV10 already, there is lots of docs available on how to configure EV10 to archive from EX2010. It might be advisable to use the SynchInMigrationMode registry key, as this should prevent existing users to get a new archive.

Very high level:

Create mailbox for VSA, on Ex2010. Run powershell scripts to disable throttling for that. Create systemmailbox per DAG, make sure to follow the steps to make the active and passive dag's known to EV. Run powershell scripts to set permissions.

See Installing and Configuring.pdf, Additional Requiements for Exchange server archiving. That has good documentation on the steps needed.

As soon as your moved users have been reprovisioned, now known as being on the Ex2010 servers, you need to make sure that MSMQ's belonging to the old Exchange servers are empty, and not getting any new items in there. When that is ok, you can delete the tasks, then delete the target (exchange) servers. If required, you can also delete the belonging MSMQ's, but that is not really necessary.

Thank you, Gertjan, MCSE, MCITP,MCTS, SCS, STS
Company: www.t2.nl

www.quadrotech-it.com

www.symantec.com/vision

SOLUTION
James Slack's picture

Hi,

I have read through and understand what you say but there is a gap in what needs to happen which I hope you can expand on.

This part makes sense;
"Create mailbox for VSA, on Ex2010. Run powershell scripts to disable throttling for that. Create systemmailbox per DAG, make sure to follow the steps to make the active and passive dag's known to EV. Run powershell scripts to set permissions."

And as far as I can understand from the installing and configuring doc, this covers the prerequisites.

But what do I do next to add Exchange 2010 in to Vault? Do I re-run the EV Configuration Wizard?

What I don't want to do is break the 2003 stuff, though it will be going next week.

Thanks

James

TonySterling's picture

So if you have created or moved the VSA mailbox to Exchange 2010 and ran the scripts you are ready to add them as Targets.

This TN was written for EV 9 but still applies, have you seen it?

Enterprise Vault 9 Archiving from Exchange 2010

Article:TECH144726  |  Created: 2010-11-22  |  Updated: 2010-12-14  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH144726

After you add the Exchange 2010 servers and create the task your Exchange 2003 servers should continue working as expected.

TonySterling's picture

Read through the scenarios, that should help you really understand how it is going to work.

Cheers,

James Slack's picture

Yep, just downloaded it so going to have a read through. I am a slow reader, so will probably be back on tomorrow. Cheers.

James Slack's picture

Thanks both Gertjan and Tony for your help - this is all up and running now.

Depite first impressions, this was actually pretty easy once I got down to it and managed to get some time looking at Vault and not trying to do 10 things at once.

Thanks again.