Video Screencast Help

Exchange Server 2007 backup and restore selection items

Created: 22 Apr 2010 • Updated: 25 Oct 2010 | 4 comments

Hi Allh

I'd like to know if that is the proper items to select in backing up my Exchange Server 2007 ?

I wonder what should I do next assuming the Exchange Server having problem with hardware and needs to be restored ?
do i have to rebuilt the server and then install RAWSx64 then restore it manually ?

can anyone help me please ?

Thanks,

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

RahulG's picture

Yup perforing a DR would be the solution ....
refer the following documentShort cut link for the DR document  http://support.veritas.com/docs/261700
DR of Exchange http://support.veritas.com/docs/310442

CraigV's picture

Hi,

At a minimum the Information Store, which is selectable when you load the Exchange license. You would also need the System State here.
I have also started backing up the %installation_dir%\Exchsrvr directory too to be safer rather than sorry.
That said, I recovered an Exchange 2003 server last year just with the Information Store that was selected at that stage.
The agent from my side would be crucial...

Laters!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

Symanticus's picture

Thanks to all for the reply,

ok I shall select that directory (Installation) for additional security in mind. However as I'm writing this article, i notice that the backup is always failing :-|
does this because of the old agent ?

Completed status: Failed

Final error: 0xe0008516 - Resources specified for snapshot do not have any valid data on them. Check if files were deleted or renamed.
Final error category: System Errors
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34070

Backup- Exchange-01.domain.com

V-79-57344-34070 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "Microsoft Information Store". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
Snapshot provider error (0xE0008516): Resources specified for snapshot do not have any valid data on them. Check if files were deleted or renamed.
Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

V-79-57344-34070 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "Microsoft Information Store". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
Snapshot provider error (0xE0008516): Resources specified for snapshot do not have any valid data on them. Check if files were deleted or renamed.

Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.
Backup- \\Exchange-01.domain.com\System?StateV-79-57344-33928 - Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified options.  The Active Directory, Active Directory Application Mode (ADAM) or Active Directory Lightweight Directory Services (AD LDS) database was not found.

/* Infrastructure Support Engineer */

RahulG's picture

Backup of an empty Storage Group on an Exchange 2007 Server fails with "Resources specified for snapshot do not have any valid data on them....So the resolution would be to Create a database for the Storage Group or exclude it from the backup selection list.

The backup can fail with above error for the following reason
The Storage Group has been renamed
Lack of sufficient free space for the snapshot
If an Exchange 2007 Storage Group has no associated database or the Storage Group is Empty.
If on the Exchange 2007 Server, Exchange writer is missing. To confirm presence of Exchange Writer run the command "VSSADMIN LIST WRITERS" on the Exchange 2007 server.