Video Screencast Help

Exchange Server 2010 Information Store missing from Backup Exec 12.5

Created: 30 Jun 2011 • Updated: 23 Nov 2012 | 2 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I recently installed Backup Exec 2010 Trial on a new server to check it out.  I successfully ran a few backup jobs against our Exchange 2010 server, but decided not to get it, so I uninstalled 2010 and installed our current 12.5 version on that new backup server.  When I try to create a new job in 12.5 to back up the Information Store it does not show up as an option.

I've followed several posts on similar issues with 2007 but to no avail.  I do not have clustering. 

So far I've:

Uninstalled and reinstalled the license key;

Made sure that the Exchange Management Console on the backup server runs correctly;

Uninstalled the remote agent and reinstalled by using the version found on my backup server (SP4)

Added the backup user to the Domain Admins, Organization Management, Public Folder Management, Recipient Management, and Server Management security groups.

What's the issue?

Comments 2 CommentsJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

Exchange 2010 is not supported by BE 12.5.  See the SCL below

BE 12.5 Software (SCL)

You need to upgrade to BE 2010 R3.

SOLUTION
teiva-boy's picture

Agreed with pkh.

One thing to think about, that most admin's forget is the "big picture," of the environment.  

e.g.  Upgrading to Exchange 2010, often means more storage purchases, moving to 64bit, etc.  But you also need to ensure that your backup app is updated to support it, client connections are updated as needed, etc...  

Sire it's cool to move to Exchange 2010, or SQL 2008 with it's db compression features.  But you can't use it fully unless the rest of the environment can support it.

Move to BE2010 R3 as pkh suggests, and you gain compatability to backup and restore.  Not to mention the proper place to troubleshoot.

There is an online portal, save yourself the long hold times. Create ticket online, then call in with ticket # in hand :-) http://mysupport.symantec.com "We backup data to restore, we don't backup data just to back it up."