Messaging Gateway

View Only
  • 1.  exchangepop3 and SMS for Exchange 2007..urgent!!

Posted Oct 12, 2008 12:40 AM

Hi...

One of our customer is using exchnagepop3 connector to download mails to thier exchnage server.

Please advice if we can position SMS for Exchange 2007 for AntiSpam and Antivirus Protection.

Please revert asap.

Regards,

Arjun

• 2.  RE: exchangepop3 and SMS for Exchange 2007..urgent!!

Posted Oct 12, 2008 10:29 AM

Hi,

In regards to SMS For Exchange the Premium Anti Spam is setup to only scan and remove email from SMTP connections.  i.e. Port 25.  Since the POP 3 emails are coming through on prot 110 the Anti Spam feature would not function as designed.  However, the mail would still be scanned for viruses, as all messages that pass through the Exchange server will be scanned.  You can also setup the File Filtering function to remove unwanted file attachments as this will also scan all mail flowing through the Exchange server.  I would reccomend using the File Name rule as your file filter instead of the multi media or Executable file name rule as you can create and use your own type of match list for the file name rule.  

As for content filtering, you would need to utilize the Exchange content filtering to remove unwanted message body / subject information.

Hope this helps.

:smileyhappy:

• 3.  RE: exchangepop3 and SMS for Exchange 2007..urgent!!

Posted Oct 12, 2008 10:34 AM

hi...thanks for your reply..

Since there is a POP3 connector which will deliver the mails in SMTP port to exchange server so I was thinking Symantec SMS could help in preventing Spam.

please comment.

regards,

Arjun

• 4.  RE: exchangepop3 and SMS for Exchange 2007..urgent!!

Posted Oct 14, 2008 01:39 PM

Hello Arjun,

From my understanding and research on the Exchange POP 3 Connectors.  It is still a service that downloads emails from the POP 3 (Port 110) to the Exchange and delivers them to the SMTP mailbox.  However, the email is still not received via SMTP (Port 25).

eXchange POP3   An email gateway (connector) that retrieves messages from Internet POP3 email accounts (IMAP also supported) and delivers them to Exchange Server mailboxes. Supports single and multiple user POP3 accounts, unlimited POP3 accounts, unlimited ISPs and SMTP authentication when sending to Internet. Version 5

Exchange Connector   Exchange Connector allows you to integrate your existing POP3 mailboxes with Microsoft Exchange Server 2000 or 2003 by downloading mail from POP3 mailboxes and delivering the messages to your Exchange Server accounts. Exchange connector runs in the background as a Windows Service and can be configured to download only during specified hours, such as between 9AM-5PM Monday-Friday and includes a "Download Mail Now" button for immediate downloads. It provides support for APOP (enhanced POP3 security), archiving, and SQL Server logging. Version 3.3.3.

As shown above my understanding is that these messages are still received via POP 3 on port 110, and Premium Anti Spam would not be able to properly remove the spam, as it is tied into all incoming Port 25 communications.

Hope this helps.

Also i noticed that this post was placed in the Mail Security Gateway.  For a quicker response please post in the Groupware. I happend to stumble on this one.

Thanks.

• 5.  RE: exchangepop3 and SMS for Exchange 2007..urgent!!

Posted Oct 15, 2008 12:40 AM

Hi Kelleysa,

After you message I referred through setup manual of exchangepop3 it clearly says "eXchange POP3 downloads messages from your Internet mailboxes (using the POP3 or IMAP rotocols) and sends them to your Exchange Server (using SMTP protocol)"

For your information I have attached the link below

http://www.exchangepop3.com/help/setupguide.ep3.pdf - Page 1 & 5.

Please advice.

Thanks,

Arjun

• 6.  RE: exchangepop3 and SMS for Exchange 2007..urgent!!

Posted Oct 15, 2008 02:50 AM

Hi Arjun,

Assuming that this connector passes mail items in the same manner as a normal SMTP conversation then I see no reason why it would not work.

However... That said, I know that the POP3 connector provided in Exchange 2003 Small Business Server dropped the messages into the SMTP pickup folder which bypassed a lot of things like IMF, Recipient filtering and Sender filtering (there is a MS KB article that explains this).  So it really does depend how that connector works.

As we can't physically test every single third party application for compatibility with Exchange and our products, i'd suggest testing this out yourself before deploying. 

Thanks,

--ian