Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Exclude boot defragment from realtime virus scanning? (SAV 10.1)

• 1.  Exclude boot defragment from realtime virus scanning? (SAV 10.1)

Posted Jun 06, 2009 06:19 AM
    I use a free drive defragmenting utility known as Ultra-Defrag to keep my workstations running at top performance. NTFS has a nasty habit of becoming badly fragmented as time goes by, splitting the registry across hundreds of fragments that makes everything slow, so I have this program set to do a "boot time" defragment of drive C: every time the system reboots.

When SAV 10.1 is installed using the default configuration, the boot time drive defragmentation time increases from just a minute or so, to a 10-15 minute long slog, waiting and waiting for the defrag to finish.

It appears that SAV is getting its nose in the middle of the defragmentation process, so when the defragmenter is scanning the drive for files to defragment, SAV is seeing this as an "opportunity" to do a realtime scan of every single file on the drive. It's like doing a full drive antivirus scan at every boot and it is far too time consuming and annoying to sit through.

The only option currently available to me to deal with this horrible sluggishness and complaints from the computer users is to simply disable SAV from loading at startup, and instead wait until someone logs in for the antivirus protection to load...

SAV makes the defragment at boot time take 10 to 15 minutes. Ack. Have to prevent it from loading at boot time.

Naturally this is not the most secure thing to be doing since the antivirus is disabled during the boot process.

Is there some alternative way to do this, where SAV realtime protection can be enabled at system start, but it can also be told to not scan files accessed by the defragmentation program?

- Dale

• 2.  RE: Exclude boot defragment from realtime virus scanning? (SAV 10.1)

Posted Jun 06, 2009 04:26 PM
     Put Exclusion for the processes for your defragmentation program in both file system auto protect and tamper protection.