Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Exclude Volume Mount Points from Scanning - Exchange 2013

Posted Sep 16, 2015 09:03 AM

Hello Everyone,

I have been looking around for answers but haven't been able to find a solution or workaround to my issue. Maybe someone can shed some light if they've encountered something like this before.

I have 4 Exchange 2013 servers running on Windows 2012 R2. We are using SEP 12.1 RU5. I have roughly 24 volume points on each server containing the Exchange databases. These volumes are pointing to a path under C:\MountedVolumes. These mount points have no drive letters attached to them. I have set an exclusion under SEP to exclude the folder C:\MountedVolumes from being scanned, however I am finding that SEP continues to scan the databases inside these mount points. I have also set an exclusion on SEP to ignore the Exchange databases - but I'm having no luck.

I saw this thread https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/how-exclude-mount-points-scanning but it hasn't helped.

Anyone know if this feature is supported? If yes, how I can get it working?

Many Thanks!!

• 2.  RE: Exclude Volume Mount Points from Scanning - Exchange 2013

Posted Sep 16, 2015 09:07 AM

The problem is wildcards are not supported within the Exception policy and any folder exception needs to start with C:\, D:\, etc.

If they have a drive letter, I don't see why they wouldn't be excluded..

Have you verified the exclusion within the registry?

• 3.  RE: Exclude Volume Mount Points from Scanning - Exchange 2013

Posted Sep 16, 2015 10:17 AM

can you let us know what kind exception you have set ?

• 4.  RE: Exclude Volume Mount Points from Scanning - Exchange 2013

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Sep 16, 2015 10:51 AM

Have you tried adding multiple exceptions for the different drive locations? 

C:\MountedVolumes

D:\MountedVolumes

E:\MountedVolumes

etc

How many different drives do you expect this to be on? just put it in the policy on serperate lines as wildcard won't work on drives. 

• 5.  RE: Exclude Volume Mount Points from Scanning - Exchange 2013

Posted Sep 18, 2015 02:10 PM

Thanks for the response. So I have checked the registry under HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\AV\Exclusions\ScanningEngines and both the extensions and directory exclusions are showing up in the registry.

So on the Exchange 2013 server I have a folder called C:\ExchangeDatabases

ScreenShot1.PNG

Inside that folder I have all my mount points:

ScreenShot2.PNG

Inside my Mount Points I have all my databases an log files which I would like to exclude:

ScreenShot3.PNG

And on the SEP console I have a centralized exception policy for the C:\ExchangeDatabases folder:

ScreenShot4.PNG

Guess I'm trying to see if there's a way to exclude via the mount point GUID i.e. \\?\VolumeID or device name i.e. *\Device\HarddiskVolume4 since I'm kinda stumped.

• 6.  RE: Exclude Volume Mount Points from Scanning - Exchange 2013

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Sep 21, 2015 03:45 AM

Unfortunatly no way to use a wild card the volume ID atm in exceptions. Has to be a specific file or location to put them in exceptions policy. Multiple requests have been made to symantec to include a wildcard feature in exceptions but nothing yet :( 

• 7.  RE: Exclude Volume Mount Points from Scanning - Exchange 2013

Posted Sep 23, 2015 09:03 AM

Thanks for the info. If that's the case, I hope Symantec updates their software and includes that feature into their product.

• 8.  RE: Exclude Volume Mount Points from Scanning - Exchange 2013

Posted Sep 23, 2015 09:25 AM

Wild card exception has been a long pending request, let hope symantec brings this feature in the near future.

• 9.  RE: Exclude Volume Mount Points from Scanning - Exchange 2013

Posted Sep 23, 2015 10:34 AM

Yeah. You can post that as an Idea. I hope there should be one, Just vote up for it.