Video Screencast Help

Excluding files & folders by date in Backup Exec 2010 R3

Created: 30 Aug 2012 | 11 comments

Good morning,

I have been asked to exclude some files from the backup selection, however Backup Exec does not seem to want to do this. I am not sure if this is because I have not configured the job properly. Specifically, I have been tasked with excluding any files within a specific directory (and it's subdirectories) that have not been modified since the 6th of July 2011. Here is the selection list;

As you can see, I have selected all files in E:\Data, and then excluded the files in E:\Data\DATA\Design that were modified after 01/01/1970 but before 07/06/2011 (US date format). What I was expecting this to do is to back up the files modified after the 6th of July 2011, however it does not back up anything in the E:\Data\DATA\Design directory; it excludes the entire directory.

Has anybody experienced this issue, and if so, have you found a way to get it to work?

I appreciate any assistance you can provide.

James

Comments 11 CommentsJump to latest comment

CraigV's picture

Hi,

Did you do this exclusion manually, or using the date range under the Include/Exclude section of your selection list?

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO74341#v63946010

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

J.Saunders's picture

Hi Craig,

I selected the folder in the "View by resource" pane, then I clicked the "Include/Exclude..." button, then selected the "Files dated" checkbox and entered the two dates into the relevant fields (i.e. 01/01/1970 in the left and 07/06/2011 in the right), then clicked Okay. When I do this and look in the "View by resource" pane again, it looks as though it has selected the correct files;

However when the backup runs, it excludes the entire E:\Data\DATA\DESIGN\ folder. It does not make sense to me why it would show the above in the selection list, yet exclude the entire folder.

Thanks for your help so far,

James

CraigV's picture

Doesn't make sense...matter of interest, but which version of BE 2010 are you running? If not R3, then consider installing this as it fixes a number of issues with previous versions.

Thanks!

J.Saunders's picture

Hi Craig,

It's BE2010 R3 with no services packs. I'll get the latest service pack installed, and will see if that makes any difference.

The main reason for posting this question was to make sure I wasn't making a silly mistake, but it sounds like I've gone about it the right way.

Thanks for your help,

James

CraigV's picture

I don't think you have, but after loading SP2 for BE 2010 R3, there will be a couple of additional patches to install via LiveUpdate.

Once done, push-install these patches to any remote servers you might have.

THanks!

J.Saunders's picture

Hi Craig,

I applied SP2 and the hotfixes, then restarted the media server. Unfortunately there's been no change in behaviour. Not sure what to do now, really!

Thanks again,

James

J.Saunders's picture

Hi pkh,

Thank you for your message. Yes, I did see your answer below, however as I have included "E:\Data\*.* /SUBDIR" in the selection list, it will include all of the files in E:\Data\DATA\DESIGN, so I cannot follow your suggestion in this situation. I did test your suggestion and it does work as you indicated, so thank you for providing your insight. I don't understand why doing the opposite (i.e. excluding the files that were modified before 06/07/2011) does not work.

James

pkh's picture

You should use 

<dir> /SUBDIR /AFTER: 07/06/2012 /BEFORE 08/30/2012 /MODIFIED

This will only include any modified files after 6 Jul.

J.Saunders's picture

Hi pkh,

I am afraid I don't understand your suggestion. I have included the parent folder in the selection list already, so if I do as you suggest then it won't exclude anything. The only way I can see that your suggestion would work is if I exclude all of the files in the directory first, and then include the date range you specified - I am not sure if Backup Exec will apply the include after the exclude though, so I'm assuming that won't work?

Thanks,

James

pkh's picture

Why do you need to exclude the directory?  Just click on the directory and do the include.  See the screenshots below.

The objective is to back up only a2.txt and a3.txt

Click on the source directory and do your includes.

The selection result

Only the targeted files are backed up.

When you want to do complicated selections, it is always useful to run the selection on a small test directory so that you can modify your selection if it does not give the desired result.