Video Screencast Help
Give us your opinion and win with Symantec! Please help us by taking this survey to tell us about your experience with Symantec Connect, so that we can continue to grow and improve.  Take the survey.

Extracting Exchange DB to a file with BE 12.5

Created: 23 Mar 2012 • Updated: 27 Mar 2012 | 4 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

How can I extract an Exchange 2003 database from tape to a file on the same server without affecting the current Exchange.  I need to get the db files so I can copy them to another offline server and export one of the mailboxes to a pst.  GRT was not enabled on this backup.  I see the File Redirection as well as Microsoft Exchange Redirection in the restore job but not sure which or both to use and what settings I need.  The key is I can't mess with the current Exchange I just want the DB files off of the tape.

Any help as quickly as possible would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks.

Discussion Filed Under:

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

Colin Weaver's picture

Use a Recovery Storage Group on the existing server (search Microsoft for info on this and then read our documents afterwards) or build a completely offline AD and EXCH environment to restore into.

SOLUTION
Notsure12's picture

Colin,

Thanks for your suggestion.  I'm doing that now.  I'm following this document http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?pag... but I don't see how to restore to the RSG instead of the current "live" database?

Notsure12's picture

Thanks for your suggestions.  I see from another document that it will authomatically restore to the offline database.  This worked.