Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Failed Installs with Endpoint 11.0.6

Posted Oct 25, 2010 07:20 PM

I have a server farm with several identical Virtual Servers. They are all running the same OS (Server 2008 R2 Enterprise) and are all configured with the same firewall settings etc. Four of these servers are RDS servers (or TS servers for the old school guys). I was pushing out an endpoint install to several servers at once including the 4 RDS's. About half of my servers installed Endpoint successfully including 2 of the RDS's. 

The 4 RDS servers are identical. Two on one physical box (TS01, TS03) and two on a second physical box (TS02, TS04). TS02 and TS03 installed successfully while 1 and 4 failed. I am able to manually browse to admin shares and install Endpoint, but I want to push it out to all my servers at the same time and not have to do this manually several times over.

The Event log on the failed servers show the server account logging on and off 5 times during the attempted installation. I can find no indication of why the installation is failing.

Any help to get the push install working consistantly would be greatly appreciated.

• 2.  RE: Failed Installs with Endpoint 11.0.6

Posted Oct 26, 2010 03:30 PM

Please post the SEP_INST.log back here in this thread.

From start - run - %temp%\SEP_INST.log

Search for Return Value 3 and post the 10 lines above the return value 3.

• 3.  RE: Failed Installs with Endpoint 11.0.6

Posted Oct 26, 2010 04:15 PM

I found this log file only on the management server. I searched the document and found no reference to Return Value 3. I found several Return Value 0, Return Value 1, and some Return Value 2.

• 4.  RE: Failed Installs with Endpoint 11.0.6

Posted Oct 26, 2010 04:29 PM

What features are you installing on these servers? You might try running the SEP support tool on the failing clients. Let me know what errors come up on the tool output.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH105414&locale=en_US

• 5.  RE: Failed Installs with Endpoint 11.0.6

Posted Oct 26, 2010 04:29 PM

that will be the log of SEP installation on the server..No value 3 means sucessfully installed ..which must be on the server..

If you do not have SEP_INST.log on the server it means the Install Package never reached that server..it failed to get copied..

Make sure you disable UAC on these servers.

However if its just 1 server try manually copying over the install package and try to install it locally on the server and see how it goes..

• 6.  RE: Failed Installs with Endpoint 11.0.6

Posted Oct 26, 2010 04:49 PM

>Vikram - As I mentioned, I can browse to the management server and install this manually. However, I want to push this out to all my servers without having to do it manually for half of them. As I also mentioned, these servers are identical. If UAC was affecting it on one server, it would be affecting all of them.

>Cycltech - As I have pointed out already, these servers are identical virtual machines. If it was a feature set problem, they would all be affected the same way (in theory). I will try running the tool  and see what it comes up with.

Thanks so far. :)

• 7.  RE: Failed Installs with Endpoint 11.0.6

Posted Oct 26, 2010 04:55 PM

Are you trying to deploy using Find Unmanaged computer or Migration and Deployment wizard ?

What error do you get when deployment fails ?

• 8.  RE: Failed Installs with Endpoint 11.0.6

Posted Oct 26, 2010 05:02 PM

I ran the tool and after correcting the screen resolution from 800x600 to 1024x768, I got no errors at all.

I am trying to deploy using the Find Unmanaged Computer wizard, yes.

The only error message I see is Failed on the installation window. I have not seen or found any other indication of why it might be failing. It appears to not copy the package to the target computer. The firewall is off, in case you were wondering. I already checked to see if it was a firewall issue.