Endpoint Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  Failed to Unlock Signing Key [0xa1010009]

Posted Dec 31, 2012 07:41 AM

Hello,

I have this nasty error message returned as an email after the original email is sent:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject:        RE: Settlement Information Form 004

Sent:           12/30/2012 2:55:00 PM

PGP: Message is blocked - failed to unlock signing key. Error code: [0xa1010009].

The original message is embedded in this non-delivery report. Click Send Again to see the original text and have the opportunity to re-send the message. If the problem persists and you still receive another non-delivery report, please contact your administrator for details.

It happened with two users, so I checked what's special about them. I found both of them have expired keys (in addidion to the current ones). What do I do about this?

Many thanks in advance!

- Moh

• 2.  RE: Failed to Unlock Signing Key [0xa1010009]
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 31, 2012 09:43 AM

Hello again,

I've just discovered the reason behind this behavior. It is the "Offline: Block" rule within PGP Desktop policy. What was special about those two specific users is that they had the PGP services stopped so it applied offline policies. This is silly cheeky

So it wasn't related to key expiry or something because PGP Desktop would simply use the valid key!

Thanks!

• 3.  RE: Failed to Unlock Signing Key [0xa1010009]

Posted Jan 10, 2013 01:53 PM

Good so I marked your response as the solution. Did this work for you?

• 4.  RE: Failed to Unlock Signing Key [0xa1010009]

Posted Jan 10, 2013 04:42 PM

Yea, it worked so well. All I had to do is starting the PGP Desktop services then it went like a charm. As I said before, I'm almost certain that having an expired key does not generate such an error, since the client then will simply use the valid key, eh?

Thanks for marking the answer. It is great that trusted personnel can do this on other's behalf, because I nearly forgot all about this post!

- Moh