Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Failed to Virtual Partion GSs 2.0.1

Posted May 23, 2007 10:25 AM
    I am unable to use ghost to reimage some computers... I have a 6 year old computer with a 3 com nic and I can restore and create images without any issues.. the newer ones however are an issue . I have a few with pro100 nics, pro1000, broadcom 57X etc and all of these I can send a refresh config task and it works fine, its just when I try to restore or create an image to or from these images stations.

we did just upgrade from 1.1 to the newer 2.0.1 and before the upgrade we didn't have any issues at all.
    but since the upgrade we always get the Failed  to virtual partition.

we are using Windows XP SP2, 1gig ram, and like I said it works fine with our oldest computers, also I can manually ghost or reimage the computers using ghost server just not using the ghost console and we need to use the console for its other features, ( the renaming,AI packages etc)

any ideas would be greatly appreciated and I have been searching the internet and site and haven't found anything that works yet.

Thanks
    Dave 

• 2.  RE: Failed to Virtual Partion GSs 2.0.1

Posted May 23, 2007 12:43 PM
    I have found that if you press F8 when you see the starting PCdos and do the step by step and select Y for everything (I also paused 5 sec between Y) and when it reboots do the same thing it will ghost the workstations... but that isn't going to help when you have 1000 computers to deal with. but at least its a start  to figure out the issue.

• 3.  RE: Failed to Virtual Partion GSs 2.0.1

Posted May 23, 2007 12:45 PM
    Hey Nettechguy,

I'm curious, are those computers having problems getting an IP from the DHCP server when they try to start a ghost task in the virtual partition?  Can you watch one of the machines and see if it errors out with an error 19913 before aborting the task and switching back to Windows.  If so, you might want to keep an eye on this thread (make sure you read the info on page 3)
    https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board/message?board.id=109&message.id=2303
    Ghost 2.x has a problem with info passed from certain types of DHCP servers that cause the task to fail.

-Evan

Message Edited by ewaite on 05-23-200709:46 AM

• 4.  RE: Failed to Virtual Partion GSs 2.0.1

Posted Jun 06, 2007 05:46 PM
    halo, is this happening to all the machines?
    or some of the specific network cards?
    did you try with different network card template?
    also you can pause the screen to see whether there is an error or not.
    F8 would be the best option but since you can't reproduce it when you do a step by step.
    this is really strange.

• 5.  RE: Failed to Virtual Partion GSs 2.0.1

Posted Jun 07, 2007 02:56 PM
    its happening with Intel Pro100, Pro1000, Marvel Yukon,however it does work with the 3Com,Broadcom cards and I have tried to use different templates, update drivers and even replace 4 files that was obtained from one our other buildings but none have helped.