Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  failing to join domain every single time (11.5 console)

Posted Feb 12, 2009 05:42 AM

This is driving me nuts. 

I have installed the new Ghost (GSS2.5 with all updates) on a brand new Doman Controller (Windows Server 2003), that's taken over the previous Windows Server 2000 domain... and I can't tell which is the problem. 

Either the Ghost 11.5 is not working properly with the doamin, nor the domain isn't working properly with Ghost.

I have randomly managed to join the machines to the domain, but most of them they just fail.

My latest config error: 

Failed to join domain domain.xxx.xxx.xx.xx: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

I installed Ghost Console and all tools on DC1, I then add 'domain' to the Supported Domains, with using the Administrator account, which Console then created 'GhostDOMAIN' on Active Directory. 

(exact same for previous ghost console.) 

So after I done that, I update the client on a machine that's already in the domain (that was perfectly working with previous ghost); so then I update the image etc, take an image. Okay that's fine. 

Then, I push the image to the machine again, with the default config. 

Which to me, should just work, right? using the default config with it's DOMAIN listed. Should automatically join the domain again. (just as same as previous ghost). 

but no, it just fails to join.

I have tried many things.

1. Reset the computer in the 'Computers' container on AD, the machine joined once, then tried it again, failed.

2. Group Policy: Default Domain Controller Policy: CC>WS>SS>LP>User Right Assignment>Added GhostDOMAIN to the 'Add workstations to domain', failed to join. 

3. Adding GhostDOMAIN to the 'Domain Admin', failed to join.

4. Delete the Computer from AD, and re-create it but adding GhostDOMAIN to the 'following user or group can join this computer to a domain', failed to join. 

So I am not sure what to do to get this fully working. 

Can someone explain to me how this works with the ghost 11.5 console/server 2003?  

But I will try the previous ghost and server 2003 too. Which is still active on Windows Server 2000 (member server, not a controller) at the moment, since I'm migrating things from GSS1 (Console 8.3) to GSS25 

Thanks in advance, I hope someone can explain why is this happening. 

• 2.  RE: failing to join domain every single time (11.5 console)

Posted Feb 12, 2009 06:48 AM

Ah, 

Just to update, which I am just trying right now.

Since I was doing a batch of machines...

This time I only did a single machine, and joined.

But I'm just going to do the same thing as I did with the single machine, but with 2 machines.. and see what happens.  

... 10 mins later... they joined...

So I basically deleted the computers from the AD, config to make them workgroup (even though already in workgroup already) then join them to domain.. and apparently success..

but it's always random.

seems to work more reliable when I put in this message on the gss forums :P 

I Will keep posting of any problems I occur...

• 3.  RE: failing to join domain every single time (11.5 console)

Posted Feb 12, 2009 08:17 AM

Well, I re-imaged the same batch of machines that successfully joined, and again, they successfully join... 

but will re-image them again soon. then try a different batch of machines.  

• 4.  RE: failing to join domain every single time (11.5 console)

Posted Feb 13, 2009 06:24 AM

Well, I don;'t know what went wrong when they keep failing, but done a few clones and configs today and yesterday, and they all seem to join the domain successfully.. 

strange.