Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

A failure occurred querying the Writer status Backup exec 2010

Created: 21 Apr 2010 • Updated: 09 Feb 2011 | 7 comments

Hi,

My seupt

- Windows 2003R2 standard
- Backup Exec 2010

My Problem
The job failed with the following error: A failure occurred querying the Writer status.

Job Completion Status
		Job ended: den 21 april 2010 at 20:30:41
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fed1 - A failure occurred querying the Writer status.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65233

Backup- SERVER011
Writer Name: Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol, Writer ID: {BE9AC81E-3619-421F-920F-4C6FEA9E93AD}, Last error: The VSS Writer failed, but the operation can be retried (0x800423f3), State: Failed during freeze operation (9).
V-79-57344-65233 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\SERVER01\Shadow?Copy?Components". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
Snapshot provider error (0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the Writer status.
Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.
Writer Name: Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol, Writer ID: {BE9AC81E-3619-421F-920F-4C6FEA9E93AD}, Last error: The VSS Writer failed, but the operation can be retried (0x800423f3), State: Failed during freeze operation (9).
V-79-57344-65233 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\SERVER01\System?State". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
Snapshot provider error (0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the Writer status.
Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

- I have restarted all the servers
- The job worked a few times, but it fels now
- please help!

Comments 7 CommentsJump to latest comment

RahulG's picture

Install the VSS rollup patch http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940349 (Reboot required) on the problem server and perform backups

babalojaan's picture
Thanks Raul for reply

i forgot to mention that the servers that i CAN NOT backup is windows 2008R2 and the link you gave me is for windows 2003.

RahulG's picture

1. Open Windows services and stop the Remote Agent for Windows Systems
2. Open Windows Explorer and go to X:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\RAWS
3. Rename the "bedsshadow.dll" file (see Figure 2.)
4. Restart the Remote Agent for Windows Systems  
5. Perform a backup of the remote system

Rreapply or update to the latest Windows Service Pack or contact Microsoft to further investigate the issue.

Mikka's picture

The above rename of the DLL causes a "Communications Failure"

"Job ended: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 at 11:56:16 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fe30 - A communications failure has occurred.
Final error category: Server Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65072"

Mikka

Mikka's picture

I reversed all of the changes, renaming the 'BEDSSHADOW.DLL' back to its original name, and restarting the 'Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems'

I re-ran my Exchange Differential and it completed successfully.

... gremlins! I'm just going to chalk it up to gremlins.

Mikka

RahulG's picture

Aslo set the startup type for the Volume Shadow Copy Service to Manual.

Abhishek Pradhan's picture

For Gods sake, please remove the Tag for the "Connect and Protect Contest". These posts are stepping into the Security forums and my mailbox s literally getting flooded with these notifications for BackupExec.

@Mods / Eric: Can someone please remove the Connect and Protect Category from all other boards except the SEP Board?

Abhishek Pradhan, PMP, MCT
Blog: http://blog.abhishekpradhan.net | SIG Lead - Pune IT Pro (Microsoft Pune User Group) | http://www.puneusergroup.org