Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Failure return code 203 Deploying Office 2003 Standard

Created: 29 Dec 2012 • Updated: 31 Dec 2012 | 9 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hello

I created software delivery package of Microsoft office 2003 standard but while deploying it giving failure return code 203.

I got one document it that giving The system could not find the environment option that was entered.

But I didnt understand what this error mean

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/w...

Comments 9 CommentsJump to latest comment

AngelD's picture

Can you give us the exact command line you used

CBZ9104's picture

setup.exe TRANSFORMS=D:\software\office2003\office.mse /qb-

AngelD's picture

You should use the MSI in combination with the transform instead of specifying the setup.exe file.

msiexec /i <path to\file.msi> TRANSFORMS=<file.mst> /qb-

andykn101's picture

You should be OK with TRANSFORMS= after the Office setup.exe but the transform usually has an .mst extension. I'd make the silent switch /qn and add verbose logging, the verbose log file should tell you more:

setup.exe TRANSFORMS=D:\software\office2003\office.mse /qn /l*v "%temp%\office2003.log"

Authorised Symantec Consultant (ASC) with Endpoint Management Limited, an Authorised Symantec Delivery Provider based in the UK.

Connect Etiquette: Please "Mark as Solution" posts that fix your problem.

Andrew Bosch's picture

Yes, your office.mse file should be office.mst, which is a Microsoft Transform file.  Here is a good resource: 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826530

------------------------------------
Sr. Principal SQA Engineer
Symantec

CBZ9104's picture

yes my it is my mistake that I mention mst it is not mst it  is MSE only

andykn101's picture

Where did the .mse file come from? If it is a proper transform file created with the Office Customisation Wizard you should give it an .mst extension, it probably won't help with this but will save confusion and potential problems later on.

Authorised Symantec Consultant (ASC) with Endpoint Management Limited, an Authorised Symantec Delivery Provider based in the UK.

Connect Etiquette: Please "Mark as Solution" posts that fix your problem.

AngelD's picture

So the 'D:\software\office2003\office.mst' is a valid location?

If the transform is in the same location as the Setup.exe file then you would only need to specify TRANSFORMS=.\office.mst

CBZ9104's picture

Hello all

I used below command and its installed successfully

setup.exe TRANSFORMS="D:\software\office2003\New Custom Setup File.MST" /qn

SOLUTION