Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  File Name length in Ghost 2003?

Posted Nov 10, 2006 11:34 AM
    In my environement, we boot with network boot disk that maps a drive to a network volume and loads the NIC driver, leaving us at a the A:\ prompt. At this point, we insert the 2nd floppy with has "ghost.exe" and then type in "ghost.exe" at the A:\ prompt. Then ghost runs.

We use Ghost 2003 and our .gho files name will NOT go larger than 8 characters. When the image is created the .gho file name is truncated to a maximum of 8 characters...not very helpful

MATT

• 2.  RE: File Name length in Ghost 2003?

Posted Nov 12, 2006 10:47 PM
    what if you create an image to NTFS partition? Fat16/32 partition will be identified by dos and dos will truncate the file to 8.3 format.

• 3.  RE: File Name length in Ghost 2003?

Posted Nov 13, 2006 08:31 AM
    No the partition being Ghosted is NTFS as well as the Partition where the image is being place.

I think this is a limitation with our version of Ghost 2003. We were using a previous enterprise version which did not behave this way. Within the ghost bootup session, it would allow us to create a name longer than 8 characters, thus the swamp file names would generate starting with a similar name. Was very nice when you wanted to include the OS, date, builders initials, etc. into the filename.

But now, after I create the image name of ONLY 8 characters, I must rename the image name within windows. And rename the swap files so I know what goes with what....but then ghost prompts me to browse to the swap files when I go to push out the images. It's as if the association to the swap files was lost when I renamed and now it needs to know which files to grab. Not the desired scenerio.

MATT