Video Screencast Help
Scheduled Maintenance: Symantec Connect is scheduled to be down Saturday, April 19 from 10am to 2pm Pacific Standard Time (GMT: 5pm to 9pm) for server migration and upgrades.
Please accept our apologies in advance for any inconvenience this might cause.

Final error: 0xe00084f4 - An unknown error has occurred.

Created: 16 May 2013 | 17 comments

Hi there.

I'm still having a nightmare with backup exec at one of our customers sites. i've just upgraded it to 2010 r3 but it hasn't made a difference.

I've tried a different NAS and also tried backing up to another server, really running out of ideas now. Below is the most common error log...

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Job ended: 16 May 2013 at 16:43:36
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00084f4 - An unknown error has occurred.
Final error category: System Errors

Backup- E: Storage device "Server02 B2D" reported an error on a request to write data to media.  Error reported:  The specified network name is no longer available.  V-79-57344-34036 - An unknown error has occurred.  

Operating Systems:

Comments 17 CommentsJump to latest comment

Donald Eady's picture

Saw a post similar in nature... Please verify that the AV isnt causing issue... perhaps temporarily disable and rerun job 

I hope this posting was helpful

willj87's picture

ok ive disabled AV on both servers, just tried backing up to the D drive on Server2 again. Lets see if it completes.

Thanks for the advise..i may be back shortly

pkh's picture

1) Are you backing up to the NAS or are you backing up from the NAS?

2) What is the brand/model of the NAS?  Have you check the HCL to make sure that it is supported.

BE 2010|2010 R2|2010 R3 Hardware (HCL)

If it is not in the HCL, did you test its functionality with

B2Dtest.exe

willj87's picture

I've tried a NAS ( Iomega StorCenter ix4-200d) and tried backing up to another server onsite that has alot of space on one of its drives.

I get the same error wher ever i try to backup to.

Vivek Jain's picture

How was the B2D added ? Using UNC or IP ? If former, try using IP address. You can recreate the B2D folder by deleting it from the Backup Exec UI, then deleting the changer.cfg & folder.cfg files & recreating it via Backup Exec.

Does the job fail immediately or after sometime ?

willj87's picture

Yes i've tried it using IP, also deleted the b2d folder several times and re created it. The job fails any where from 40gb to 200gb (backup file total was 400gb when it was working correctly)

Vivek Jain's picture

Hope you are not using mapped drives. What are the properties of the B2D ?

Are you able to backup successfully to a B2D on the local media server ?

willj87's picture

Nope deffinetly not using mapped drives, created a b2d share on the nas and a share on the other server and then configured the folder withinin backup exec to look at \\192.******\b2d

Havn't tried it localy, will set one off once the current jobs fails.

Properties:

Name: server02 B2D

Path: \\192.168.0.5\backup

Maximum size for back up to disk files: 4 gb

Maximum number of backup sets per backup to disk file: 10

Concurrent operations: 1

Vivek Jain's picture

One other thing... Is "Allocate the maximum size for backup-to-disk files" enabled or disabled ? If the former, do disable it.

willj87's picture

OK backup worked over the weekend with AV disabled so i'm suming its something do with that.

Donald Eady's picture

Try disabling the AV on the media server and enabling it on the source box and run the job, then switch and try enabling the AV on the media server and disabling on the source box to try to narrow down where the issue is being presented. Also please check the AV log for quarentines or port closures durring the time of the backups and in relation to backup exec. Also add an exclusion for the B.E. installation directory... See below.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76327

willj87's picture

thanks for that, what do you mean by the source box? Its all run on the same SBS server. There is another server that hosts the SQl but its replicated between the two servers (servers are in different buildings on the same site) so it isn't backed up.

I'll look at adding the exceptions in later, eanble the av again and re run the backup tonight.

Thanks again

Donald Eady's picture

Disregard the Source box statement... I didnt realize that it was SBS.. Please report results of tonights backup when completed

willj87's picture

backup failed with AV completely disbaled, similar error

now i'm completely lost, may have to revert to another backup program soon as the customer has threatened to cancel their support contract

Any ideas?

Job ended: 23 May 2013 at 02:28:44
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00084c8 - The backup storage device has failed.
Final error category: Backup Device Errors

Verify- C:  Storage device "B2D" reported an error on a request to read data from media.  Error reported:  The specified network name is no longer available.  V-79-57344-33992 - The backup storage device has failed.