Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Final error: 0xe000ff18 - A communications failure has occurred with a Virtual Machine resource.

Created: 30 Dec 2012 • Updated: 01 Jan 2013 | 13 comments
Sinner xyz's picture
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hello,

Need help with most fragile release of Backup Exec,

All of sudden AVVI \ non GRT backup for a Unix machine started failling.

Nothing is changed with this machine or enviorment side (beside 2 hotfixes from symantec for BE),

I guess, it is just the attention seeking tendency of the BE, that cannot see me working on other Imp assignments.

V-79-57344-65304 - The Virtual Machine resource is not responding. Backup set canceled.
V-79-57344-65304 - The Virtual Machine resource is not responding. Backup set canceled.

Also BE remote agent service stops after that:

Faulting application beremote.exe, version 14.0.1798.0, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.2.3790.4937, fault address 0x0002a80f.

Thanks in Advance

Comments 13 CommentsJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

Did you patch the RALUS in this machine after applying the hotfixes?  If not, see my blog below on how to do it.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/how-...

pkh's picture

You might want to see whether installing RALUS would help solve the problem, even if it is non-GRT

Sinner xyz's picture

Thanks PKH but lets not do this.

Ralus and these UNIX server are not offically supported by Symantec, I may not like to try something which may lead me to any unwanted situtation.

Moreover, if it has worked like this for over a year, Let's stick to the plan.

Sinner xyz's picture

Thanks for the reply Gurvinder. My problem have started after applying last 2 Hotfix

Should I unintsall the last 2 updates, Since I had no such issues before them?

Gurvinder Rait's picture

Would recommend you to open a support case with the Job Log and local debug and crash dump
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Logging
CreateDebugLog --> 1
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\VMware Agent
VMware Agent debug log level --> 1
Enable Full Dump for beremote from C:\program files\symantec\Backup exec\bedbg.exe --type 2
Run the backup and when the remote agent crashes it will create a dump file in C:\program files\symantec\Backup exec\bedbg. Collect the logs from logs folder and BEDBG folder.

Gurvinder Rait's picture

Try disabling these on media server. This ntfs tracking isnt required any more. If this helps no need for a support case.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\VMware Agent

Set the below to 1
Disable NTFS Used Sector Tracking
Disable NTFS Used Sector Tracking Dynamic Disk Support
Disable NTFS Used Sector Tracking GPT Disk Support

SOLUTION
Sinner xyz's picture

Thanks Gurvinder, backups seems to be running now. Is there any downside of those rejistry hacks.

Gurvinder Rait's picture

No, there isnt. It is an old functionality which is no longer needed and can be turned off. So it allright if those keys help resolve it.

Sinner xyz's picture

Thanks.. From now onwards, I am really scared to install any new hotfixes