Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

fl_setup.exe set as an exception on local logged in users downloads folder in Symantec 12.1.4

• 1.  fl_setup.exe set as an exception on local logged in users downloads folder in Symantec 12.1.4

Posted Oct 22, 2014 09:36 AM

Hi all.

I went to locally load an exception on a staffers computer and was surprised to see this .exe file loaded as an exception.

Location was the local users downloads profile.

Before I discuss with that user, I wanted to see if there is any way that malware can programatically add exceptions to EP?  It seems odd that Symantec EP would allow this to occur so orderly.  I'm thinking that perhaps the staff person manually set this but can be certain.  Was hoping someone could shed light on this odd behavior -- A) anyone hear of fl_setup.exe and, can malware take over EP in such a way as to add these execptions like this?

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: fl_setup.exe set as an exception on local logged in users downloads folder in Symantec 12.1.4
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 22, 2014 09:39 AM

They likely added the exception after download insight flagged it. Do they have this ability? And no, it's unlikely malware could manually add this exception.

• 3.  RE: fl_setup.exe set as an exception on local logged in users downloads folder in Symantec 12.1.4

Posted Oct 22, 2014 10:46 PM

Thanks Brian.  Appreciate your always solid help.

- Lars

• 4.  RE: fl_setup.exe set as an exception on local logged in users downloads folder in Symantec 12.1.4

Posted Oct 22, 2014 10:50 PM
    Happy to help :)