Video Screencast Help
Give us your opinion and win with Symantec! Please help us by taking this survey to tell us about your experience with Symantec Connect, so that we can continue to grow and improve.  Take the survey.

Full/Delta Inventory Not Running on Some PCs

Created: 02 Apr 2013 | 8 comments

I usually don't check the Altiris Agent on my own PC (OptiPlex 7010) but happened to do so today where I saw that it hasn't ran either the full or delta inventory for awhile.  Can't tell you exactly how long because I think I cleared the task history about a month ago when I was testing something.  In any case, only antivirus inventory has been firing off as expected under my task history.  Found the following locked thread where I appear to have the same issue Sally5432 came across.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/tips-troubleshooting-when-inventory-policies-dont-run

Nothing really stands out in my a.logs where I, too, don't see anything wrong with the Altiris agent and its additional plug-ins.  This might not be related but I couldn't get to my desktop with RAAD from my second PC (said something like the Altiris Agent wasn't installed) and had the same problem with other OptiPlex 7010's I randomly tried getting to although not all of them.

My 7010 came with Win7 Pro which I used right out of the box unlike some of my other PCs where I installed the OS from scratch.  Thinking there has to be software that's somehow interfering with the full/delta inventory tasks (basic inventory is being reported as usual).  Was there any resolution to the original message thread?

Operating Systems:

Comments 8 CommentsJump to latest comment

Sachin Sawant's picture

Kindly check the Agent communicate with NS sever.

Clint's picture

From the affected workstations, any recommendations on the easiest way to verify client/server communications for SMP 7.1 SP2 MP1?  Again, antivirus inventory is being regularly reported so must be something with how Inventory Solution transmits the full/delta inventories to the SMP server and a unique configuration setting on these machines that's preventing this upload.

Clint

Clint's picture

FYI: Issue is NOT a communications problem.  A bit early to say but it appears there was some type of policy corruption on a few clients according to my Symantec support engineer.  Unfortunately he couldn't explain why this occurred on maybe 50 of my 3100 SMP clients.

Anyhow, we cloned one of my existing inventory policies, recreated the target and set a custom schedule to run a couple minutes later.  After clicking the Update button in the SMA, it saw the cloned policy and ran the inventory as scheduled.  Bottom line is that we're thinking recreating the target did the trick so I'll have to wait until my next delta s/w inventory kicks off (with a recreated target) to see if this really works for my existing policies.

As a side note, kind of weird that you can't edit the existing target to see what rule(s) are being applied for any of your inventory policies.  Also, there's an "All Computers without Software Inventory Plug-in" filter but not one for "with" so left the default of "Exclude Resources In".

Clint

Clint's picture

Unfortunately deleting/recreating the targets for my existing full/delta s/w inventory policies didn't help so now I've disabled these policies, cloned them, changed their schedules and then deleted/recreated their targets before turning them on.  I set a delta s/w inventory to run tomorrow morning so crossing my fingers that this will work.

Clint

Sachin Sawant's picture

Please check the .NSE file is processed or not.

C:\ProgramData\Symantec\SMP\EventQueue\EvtQueue

Clint's picture

My event queue's clean with no files in the EvtQueue folder itself and those under it.  Again, we're thinking this is a client-side issue where somehow the full/delta inventory policies got corrupted on select PCs.  Hoping recreating the policy's target will help kickstart inventory again.

Clint

Sachin Sawant's picture

Hi Clint,

Can you please provide a screen short of client task status and Symantec management Agent Setting

Clint's picture

I won't be providing screenshots because the problem's been resolved...sort of.  The Symantec support analyst for my case didn't see anything wrong in the SMA settings or client task status when he WebExed in.  I'm utilizing a workaround instead.

We still don't know the source of this problem but what worked for me was disabling my full and delta s/w inventories, cloning them, changed their schedules, deleted/recreated the targets then enabled both.  Don't know whether my full will really work or not because I have it scheduled for next month but feel pretty confident that it'll fire off since the delta s/w inventory ran today as scheduled on even the affected clients.

Clint