Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  G S S v2.5.1 - Unknown Install Type. Unable to Proceed.

Posted Oct 14, 2010 04:07 PM

Hello All,

I have ran into a problem while installing GSS 2.5.1. After launching the install I receive and errar stating Unknown install type. Unable to proceed. I am able to install the application on other like servers, but not this particular one.. GSS 1.1 and 2.5 used to be on there but I have attempted a clean install of 2.5.1. I am wondering if the server has left over instances of the old apps?? Or could that not be causing this error.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Karla

• 2.  RE: G S S v2.5.1 - Unknown Install Type. Unable to Proceed.

Posted Oct 14, 2010 04:25 PM

I'm guessing you have not googled on the error or searched the forum.

Have a look at this thread:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/gss-251-unknown-install-type-unable-proceed-error

It looks like the version of GSS you have does not work with the version of windows installer on your unspecified version of server operating system. Have a look also at recent threads with posting counts of several hundred - these relate to updates for GSS 2.5.1 which are not available through Liveupdate - it may well be that one of these has a fix for your problem.

I would hazard a guess that the servers which work are running Windows 2003 server and the one that doesn't is running a later version, or has had windows installer updated past version 3  (check the version of msiexec.exe or msi.dll in the system32 folder)

• 3.  RE: G S S v2.5.1 - Unknown Install Type. Unable to Proceed.

Posted Oct 18, 2010 04:15 PM

Actually I have been googling on this error for quite some time now and nothing has helped. All of my servers are the same. All are Dell R710's with the same OS, Windows 2003 Ent Ed SP2 R2, and the same version of Windows Installer. All installations have succeeded except for on one server.

Furthermore, I was advised by Symantec to post a thread on my related issue.

Thanks for ALL your help and God bless,

Karla

• 4.  RE: G S S v2.5.1 - Unknown Install Type. Unable to Proceed.

Posted Oct 19, 2010 12:33 PM

Anymore advise...this is a clean install, not an update...and the above mentioned thread was not helpful.

Thanks,

Karla