Messaging Gateway

View Only
  • 1.  Get information out of brightmail 8.0.1-7 For a dashboard

Posted May 19, 2009 08:42 AM
    All,
    I am trying to come up with a way to get numbers out of brightmail. We have displays around our company and they would like to have updated information displayed on them. The data would have to be automaticly pulled out either into a sql database or into a plain test doc. Please post any ideas. I am sure there are other companys out there who would like to know also. The data pulled be be as simple as clean messages, total messages, Spam, Bad Reputation, ext ext.

Thanks
    Mike

• 2.  RE: Get information out of brightmail 8.0.1-7 For a dashboard

Posted May 19, 2009 09:30 AM
    Hi Mike,

It's not currently possible to get the data directly from the onbox reporting database in this manner.
    Could you utilise the data from the Message Audit Log (MAL) if it was sent to a remote syslog instance?  
    You could then use the data there as you wished. 

//ian

• 3.  RE: Get information out of brightmail 8.0.1-7 For a dashboard

Posted May 19, 2009 10:54 AM
    I am not sure I will have to look into the remote system log. I did see you guys have an automatic e-mail report that can be in csv form. This would be awesome if it gave the option to do a schedule ftp of a csv. That would give users the ability to display e-mail info on an internal display or even an internal company website. Does the manual cover sending the audit log to a remote syslog? Also if I configure this it still keeps all the info in the bright mail reporting correct? Again thanks for the reply and any other suggestions or comments are welcome.

Thanks
    mike

• 4.  RE: Get information out of brightmail 8.0.1-7 For a dashboard

Posted May 19, 2009 11:24 AM
    I know of some other customers who have been using the remote syslog to populate their own internal reporting on an intranet for things like "spam blocked today" which give a good indication to your end users how much spam is actually being blocked before it gets anywhere near them.

Log in to the web UI, go to Administration -> Logs.  This is where you can configure the remote logging and you can click help to read the admin guide information.

Hope that helps.

//ian

• 5.  RE: Get information out of brightmail 8.0.1-7 For a dashboard

Posted May 19, 2009 12:21 PM
    I think that is what i am going to be looking for . I will set something up and see what kind of info i can get.

Thank you for your time.
    Mike

• 6.  RE: Get information out of brightmail 8.0.1-7 For a dashboard

Posted May 19, 2009 02:49 PM
    If you want me to create a new topic I will. We have bright mail adding a legal disclaimer to all e-mail that do not already have it, But with system generated e-mails(plain txt) it adds the initial message as an attachment and puts the legal disclaimer in the body. So to read the e-mail you have to open the attachment. Is there any way around this?

Also we have a lot of applications that relay off our new bright mail gateway servers. Is there a way to put an ip range instead of adding each one to the allow relay list?

Thanks for the info.

Mike

• 7.  RE: Get information out of brightmail 8.0.1-7 For a dashboard
    Best Answer

Posted May 23, 2009 09:02 AM
    Hello dear,

A) If you want to put disclaimer for all the outgoing mails from the SMS Scanner then follow the below steps:

1) Go to Compliance tab--> Resources--> Annotation--> Add & paste the discription of Disclamair in plain text--> Save
    2) Go to Compliance --> Policies--> Create a policy where condition is "for all the message"--> Action "Add annotation"--> Apply to the group & Save.
    Note: Apply this policy for only outgoing mails.

B) Instead of putting a manual IP Address in outbound relay access list you can define the range example 10.10.10.10/16. Dont allow every one as our appliance will act as a open relay for this servers.

Please mark it solved if incase resolve your query.

Thanks & Regards,
    Laeek

• 8.  RE: Get information out of brightmail 8.0.1-7 For a dashboard

Posted May 27, 2009 04:50 AM
    Hi Ian, we are using the Symantec Threat Reporter and I think this is possible, it also uses syslog.