Messaging Gateway

View Only
  • 1.  Getting error "554 transaction failed spam message not queued" while sending mails to external domains

Posted Jan 27, 2013 05:26 AM

Hi All,

Good Day!

Our mail gateway audit logs is giving the message 554 transaction failed spam message not queued while sending mails to certain specific external domains. I searched a lot on the internet as well as this forum but could not find anything useful.

Below are my observations:

1. Our domain/IP is not in any blacklist.

2. The recepient's domain/IP is not blacklisted either.

3. I am able to send mails to the recepient's domain from other domains other than my local domain.

4. The messages are not in Spam Quarantine.

5. I get the same message from the command line as well:

telnet mail.externaldomain.com 25

Trying xx.xx.xx.xx...
    Connected to mail.externaldomain.com.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    220 External Domain Mail Filter System (ExternalMail 4.0.1)

helo mydomain.com

250 +OK SMTP server Ready

250 +OK Sender OK

250 +OK Recipient OK

data

354 Start mail input, end with '<CR><LF>.<CR><LF>'

Subject: test message
    This is a test message.
    554 Transaction Failed Spam Message not queued.

We are running SMG version 9.5.3-3.

I suspect our IP/domain is blacklisted by the recepient's mail gateway and hence it is not accepting mails from us. Please let me know this assumption is right and assist me with this issue.

Regards,

Faiz

• 2.  RE: Getting error "554 transaction failed spam message not queued" while sending mails to external domains

Posted Jan 28, 2013 08:09 AM

Looks like your domain is rejected by the remote server.

Check if your IP (outbound, not the inbound :-) ) is blacklisted somewhere:
    http://www.mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx

And if as you said you are not in any lists, double check you DNS Records.

Maybe you are missing a PTR for the Reverse Lookup especially if you use a different IP for sending emails.

• 3.  RE: Getting error "554 transaction failed spam message not queued" while sending mails to external domains

Posted Jan 28, 2013 09:28 AM

Hi Simeoni,

Thank you for the response.

I did check the outbound IP address in the blacklist but that is also not listed.

Also, i checked the PTR and it is resolving correctly. 

I would like to know is there something in need to do on my gateway to fix and avoid this in future.

Thanks in advance.

Faiz

• 4.  RE: Getting error "554 transaction failed spam message not queued" while sending mails to external domains

Posted Jan 29, 2013 08:32 PM

At this point you need to talk to the people running the remote domain.  They are the ones making the blocking decision.   Lookup their contact information in WhoIs, perhaps via their web site.  You'll probably need to communicate via a public e-mail address (gmail/yahoo/etc) until it works.