Video Screencast Help
Protect Your POS Environment Against Retail Data Breaches. Learn More.

Getting startet with BE 2012 demo in VMWare production environment

Created: 04 Jan 2013 | 4 comments

Hi there!

I have installed a 60-days demo version of BE 2012. Currently i am running BE 2010 R3 in a VI 4.1 environment. Can i use BE 2012 in paralell and connect to a productive VI farm without any issues? I would like to test the new features regarding backup of virtualized servers but i have no testing envirmonment available.

Thanks

Christian

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

Sush...'s picture

Hello Christian,

You can install BE 2012 on another server and can take backup of the same ESX server. This will work for normal backups. But you may not be able to use/test the features like Application GRT as that requires you to install Remote Agent (RAWS)  inside the VM. So as you can not install RAWS of two different versions on the same VM it will not work.

But for non-GRT backups everything should work fine.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Hope this piece of Information Helps you... and if it does then mark this response as Solution....!!!

Christian1980's picture

Hello Sush,

thanks for your reply. I will test the normal backups and if everything is fine, i will mark your answer as a solution.

Greetings

Christian

CraigV's picture

...you're slightly wrong here...the OP CAN use the BE 2010 R3 RAWS agent (no need to install the BE 2012 RAWS agent as this upgrades the current agent installed anyway...no chance to have 2 versions on 1 server...). He would simply have to make do with warnings about the RAWS agent being old and needing to be updated, but since it is a testing phase, it shouldn't matter.

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

Gurvinder Rait's picture

Full backups should be allright (time when it backs up the VMs should not clash). Incremental would have Issues (http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search...)