Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Ghost 11.0 Slow to capture images

Posted May 13, 2010 07:33 AM
    I'm using ghost 11.0 to capture an image of an 80Gb laptop. When Compressed the image size is approx 7 GB. However it takes almost 2 hours to capture the image. Deploying the image takes 15 mins.

I'm using a generic 8 port Gigabit switch. Ghost is installed onto same model of laptop that I am imaging. Both have GB Nics but are set to 100mb full duplex.

Is there any way to speed up the image capture process as it takes too long.

• 2.  RE: Ghost 11.0 Slow to capture images

Posted May 13, 2010 08:15 AM
    Hello,

I would recommend updating the DOS driver as the first step. If that doesn't improve performance, try setting the duplex to 100/half. Also, what speed (in mb/min) are you getting?

Thank you,

Randy

• 3.  RE: Ghost 11.0 Slow to capture images

Posted May 13, 2010 08:43 AM
    Hi Randy,

i'm getting approx 50mb/min on capture. Do you think it's possible to increase the speed or is the slow performance due to the image being compressed as its being captured?

Thanks,
    Jim

• 4.  RE: Ghost 11.0 Slow to capture images

Posted May 13, 2010 08:54 AM
    That is a terrible speed. I would seriously update the DOS driver with the latest from the NIC manufacturer. Compression is possibly making it slow... what level of compression are you using? The 'Fast' level is the fastest.

Thank you,

Randy

• 5.  RE: Ghost 11.0 Slow to capture images

Posted May 13, 2010 09:01 AM
    Ok Randy, I'm 90% thru capturing an image, I'll update the drivers and post back. How long would you expect this to take?

command line has -z9 for compression

Thanks Again!!!

jim

• 6.  RE: Ghost 11.0 Slow to capture images

Posted May 13, 2010 09:54 AM
    Okay, the -z9 will indeed slow it a lot. Test with fast compression (-z2) and report speeds for that, since they would be a better baseline indicator. Once we establish a good speed there, then you can return to the -z9 compression. 50mb/min may actually be a reasonable speed at that compression, but I don't really think so.

Thank you,

Randy

• 7.  RE: Ghost 11.0 Slow to capture images

Posted May 13, 2010 10:44 AM
    Hi Randy, updated dos drivers and have reduced compression to "fast" -z2 and it looks like the image is being captured approx 140mb/min. Not sure if the difference in compression has resolved the issue or if it's the updated NIC drivers.

Something else I;ve noticed. On the Image machine ghost software reporting data transfer @250mb/min whereas on the ghost cast server its reporting @140 MB/min. Is this difference due to compression?
    ======================
    it appears I spoke too soon, I did have a quicker speed and now it's dropped back down to 56mb/min

Any suggestions?
    Regards,
    Ciaran

• 8.  RE: Ghost 11.0 Slow to capture images

Posted May 26, 2010 11:21 PM
    is any possible can i ghost windows 7 image in just 7 min.... can any 1 help me out !!!