Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Ghost 8.0.0.894 Error Number 25024 *Log Inside*

Posted Jul 28, 2008 09:00 AM

Error Number: (25024)
    Version: 8.0.0.984 (Oct  3 2003, Build=984)
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional  (Build 2600)
    Command line arguments:

Hey guys,

I've been fighting this thing for 2 days now, without any success, I've tried creating the image with no compression, fast compression and high compression and I still get the error every time I try to image a PC.

When I pull the image down from the network it gets to 99% and stops, than asks to write the ghosterr.txt file and there is the error I come up with..

I have tried to create and image on our Dell optiplex 755 PC's and Lenovo 6075 units with the same result.

If you need the rest of the log I can post that up, at this point I'm ready to take any advice on how to fix this issue.

Thank you.

• 2.  RE: Ghost 8.0.0.894 Error Number 25024 *Log Inside*

Posted Jul 28, 2008 01:29 PM

Just to add to this, I've google'd the crap out of this issue and I seem to have found this:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/d87bb6ce0bde286d88256d6a00452701/ec1a7658a4199ea988256e4c00558484?OpenDocument

My next question is, where do I get this update?

• 3.  RE: Ghost 8.0.0.894 Error Number 25024 *Log Inside*

Posted Jul 28, 2008 11:53 PM

Hi,

I dont think it is anything to do with image compression - error refers to NTFS compression error and it looks like ghost is telling you that it cannot cope with NTFS compressed attributes. Version 8.0 was release very-very long time ago and it may well be that something has been added to NTFS fs that makes ghost to not cope with it. It may also be that 8.0 implementation was not designed to cope with compressed attributes but was fixed in subseqent releases. But according to bug report it appears that this was a simple bug and was fixed in 8.0 updates.

To get an update you'll need to contact your local Symantec representative.

Just as an aside question - have you considered an upgrade to 11.x (GSS 2.0 or 2.5)? 

Cheers. 

• 4.  RE: Ghost 8.0.0.894 Error Number 25024 *Log Inside*

Posted Jul 29, 2008 06:17 PM

First of all thank you for the reply!

After another 2 hours of reading through ghost and all of its options I decided to try something new and I selected an option in ghost called: -Force Cloning-  Basicly what is says it does is it Forces cloning to continue even if the source contains bad clusters.

After I created an image with this option selected I was able to pull it down from the server on to a machine without the error this time, In disbelief that this actually worked I created a second image and was able to pull that down error free as well..

At this point I'm suspecting that there is something wrong with the drive on our *JerryRigged* server.

Do you think I'm on the right path here?

I did go ahead and get with a Symantec Rep. to check on some pricing for version GSS 2.5 but once I told management about it I was somewhat shot down haha..

Thank you!!

Message Edited by newgsr on 07-29-2008 03:17 PM

• 5.  RE: Ghost 8.0.0.894 Error Number 25024 *Log Inside*

Posted Jul 29, 2008 06:24 PM

Yes you can force ghost to ignore certain errors (not all errors) and it might be ok but please try either running image check or restore it to some other drive to make sure that ghost is happy with this image on restore.

You can also check GSS 2.5 pricing yourself at www.ghost.com.

Cheers. 

• 6.  RE: Ghost 8.0.0.894 Error Number 25024 *Log Inside*

Posted Jul 30, 2008 03:32 PM

Today I shared my local drive out and pushed an image out to it, than I pulled it down to a different PC without a hitch however I did not have the -Force Clone- option selected so ghost did its thing like it should have. 

A few minutes later I created another image, and pushed that up to my local drive (same ghost options as before) one more time without any troubles but when I pulled it back down *BAM* at 99% I got the dreaded error again..

I did run the Check Image File utility and it came up with an error talking about an "internal inconsistancy" I've seen this many times before right after I hit 99% and it asks for the ghosterr.txt file so it can write its error to..

I feel that at this point I'm somewhat out of options unless you have any more suggestions for me..

• 7.  RE: Ghost 8.0.0.894 Error Number 25024 *Log Inside*

Posted Jul 30, 2008 05:33 PM

Apart from upgrading the only suggestion I have is one of two:

1. Contact Symantec rep for an update to v8.x. We believe this issue have been long addressed and rep should be able to get you an update.

2. Run chkdsk before you clone to make sure that yous master disk is error free.

You can also download trial version of GSS 2.5, see it fullfills your needs and then talk to your managers. 

• 8.  RE: Ghost 8.0.0.894 Error Number 25024 *Log Inside*

Posted Jul 31, 2008 09:56 AM

I'm downloading the GSS 2.5 trial as we speak so i will definitely give this a shot.

I did go ahead and do a chkdsk on the drive on the server where I usually keep the images and tried to create one and pull it down but the error is still there..  I also did a chkdsk on my local drive with the same result.  So I'm nowhere with it again

At this point I'm also awaiting a call back from a rep to see if we can get the next old 8.2 update which fixes this issue.

Thank you for all of your help, and I will let you know if everything works out.

Adi