Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Ghost Boot CD on Optiplex 745

Posted Mar 28, 2007 08:27 PM
    I've been having issues attempting to creating an image from a Dell Optiplex 745 using Ghost Solution Suite 2.0.  The CD was created loading only the Broadcom driver, set for DHCP.  I have done this using the Network Boot Package and the Drive Mapping Boot Package.

When loading the Boot CD i've created in Ghost Boot Wizard, using the NDIS2 driver downloaded from Broadcom's website (http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/netxtreme_desktop.php specifically), I get an error on boot.  It reads as follows when loading:

Code:
    IBM Protocol Manager Version 2.1MAC/DIS to Packet Driver converter loaded. Version 1.19Copyright 1991 FTP Software, INC.  All rights reserved.Portions Copyright(c) 2000-2004 Symantec CorporationBroadcom Ethernet DOS NDIS2 Driver v10.03 (061215)Copyright (C) 2002-2006 Broadcom Corporation.  All rights reserved.Can't find DriverName in PROTOCOL.INI.The driver failed to load.

It continues on to initialize the network settings, loads files into the locally created RAM drive,
    and finally boots into the full interface with only Local options available.

We would like to be able to image to a mapped drive on another computer on the local network, as well as pull down an image from that same computer to image our incoming machines.  We've been able to test the process successfully on all Dell models in our office except the Optiplex 745s.

I should also note that this is a trial version of the software that we are testing out.  We would very much like to purchase it for our imaging purposes, but it hinges on being able to create images from / push images to Optiplex 745 computers.

Thank you for your assistance.

EDIT:  As an addendum, I have tried this on the Optiplex 745 both with and without PXE enabled on the NIC.

Message Edited by Patrick K on 03-28-200705:40 PM

Message Edited by Patrick K on 03-28-200705:40 PM

• 2.  RE: Ghost Boot CD on Optiplex 745

Posted Mar 30, 2007 02:31 AM
    Hi Patrick,

It looks like something is missing in the template. It should not be related to the PXE.

How did you put the new driver to the system? Did you drop the file (I think this is bc57.dos) to the existing template?

If you use the supplied Broadcom driver in Ghost Boot Wizard, does it gives the same error?

Krish

• 3.  RE: Ghost Boot CD on Optiplex 745

Posted Mar 30, 2007 03:31 PM
    I added the driver to the boot CD by downloading it from Broadcom's website using the link listed above.  When going through the Ghost Boot Wizard, I added the driver to the list of drivers by selecting "New" and then browsing to the driver and adding it to the list.  All steps that followed were standard for setting up a boot CD, which is to say we used the same settings that we have used with other systems in the past.

We have tested it with the Symantec supplied Broadcom driver, which has given the same error.  I'll give it another test run just to make sure.

• 4.  RE: Ghost Boot CD on Optiplex 745

Posted Apr 02, 2007 03:23 AM
    Hi Patrick,

I had a 745 and did a quick test, the supplied BC57 driver is not compatible with that card, so I too got an error but not complaining about the protocol.ini.

Could you try manually updating the driver? You can do it by following this process.
    Start creating a Drive Mapping Boot package
    • Select the Broadcom driver provided and press 'Copy' - This will create another driver with the name 'Broadcom BCM 57xx(2)'
    • Open windows explorer and navigate to 'Documents and Settings\all users\application data\symantec\ghost\template' folder
    • You will find a folder 'Broadcom BCM 57xx(2)' there.
    • Replace the BC57.DOS file with the one from the zip file you downloaded.

Try creating the bood cd using that driver, it was working for my 745.

Krish

Message Edited by Krish Jayaratne on 04-02-200708:27 PM

• 5.  RE: Ghost Boot CD on Optiplex 745

Posted Apr 02, 2007 07:35 PM
    Following the instructions given above, I was able to create a working Ghost Boot CD, and was able to successfully pull an image to our server.  This seems to have fixed the issue we'd encountered.

Thanks for the help!

• 6.  RE: Ghost Boot CD on Optiplex 745

Posted Apr 03, 2007 07:47 PM
    Hey patrick,

i am new with Symantec Ghost Solution Suite 1.1, and i am facing a lot of problems in taking a ghost image for the new purchased Dell Optiplex 745 in my company. Could you please describe to me the procedure step by step, with some hints on how to create the bootable CD as well.

Thanking you in advance for your kind help and support.

• 7.  RE: Ghost Boot CD on Optiplex 745

Posted May 03, 2007 07:01 PM
    Krish:

Thanks for the advice on updating the drivers.  I too have Optiplex 745 computers, and I finally got it to work after reading this thread.

• 8.  RE: Ghost Boot CD on Optiplex 745

Posted May 24, 2007 11:19 AM
    Just wanted to add my thanks.  Updating the drivers as described in this post and making sure the network card drivers in the client operating system were the latest fixed an issue with Dell Optiplex 620 where the console task would wake the machine up but it would then just boot to windows and would not restart into the boot partition and therefore continue with the imaging process.