Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  ghost boot wizard for 2.5.1 WinPE and start.bat file

Posted Apr 12, 2012 04:31 PM

Hi all,

We recently upgraded our ghost server and are in the process of testing a new method of recovering systems for our customers. Before windows 7 and 2008 we had images small enough to fit on a DVD, but now we cannot get this to work. We have tried dual layer and that was a bust. What we have done is used ghost boot wizard to be the recovery method. Using the boot wizard we can add the image to a usb stick and recover using ghost. In order to automate it so our customers can do as little as possible I have come up with a script. What I want to do is make it so that the script doesn't needed to be added into the start.bat file at the end of the boot wizard everytime. I have looked and saw the location of it, copy pasted the script into it, but have had the wizard use the default script. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: ghost boot wizard for 2.5.1 WinPE and start.bat file

Posted Apr 12, 2012 06:03 PM

If the client computers are on the same network as your ghost server you could program a job to push an image in the console and allow it to be executed by a user.  another option would be to create a recovery partition on the local disk of the client computer, eliminating the need for the USB stick.  You can make the recovery wizard boot right into the imaging process, with verification of course.  After you get that configured you can pull a disk image for yourself including both live and recovery partitions and deploy it to machines as you make/configure them.

• 3.  RE: ghost boot wizard for 2.5.1 WinPE and start.bat file

Posted Apr 13, 2012 05:57 AM

The simplest way to get around editing start.bat each time, is to have a line in start.bat that calls another batch file stored on the USB stick which is the file that you edit as required. Your start.bat would need to search each drive letter on the system looking for your specifically named batch file on the USB device, and then run it when found.

Also, if you are using WinPE, you can create a graphical front end based around an HTA file if you want to give your users a GUI or write something more elaborate that detects the machine it is connected to and pulls the right image automatically.

• 4.  RE: ghost boot wizard for 2.5.1 WinPE and start.bat file

Posted Apr 13, 2012 11:51 AM

i have been using that script to in place of the default start.bat file.

-------------

Rem – scan for a file in the root of the USB called recovery.gho and set system variable %USB%
    for %%f in (E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z ) do if exist %%f:\recovery.gho set USB=%%f:
    x:
    cd \ghost
    Ghost32 -clone,mode=restore,src=%USB%\recovery.gho,dst=1 -sure

--------------

My goal has been to automate the process after having the user say are they sure they went to restore. I am not doing this over a network. As for the local disk option, using the usb drive was to be the better option if the hard disk had failed.

Is there no way to change the defaulted start.bat file in GBW?