Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Ghost console crash - GSS 2.0.1

Migration User

Migration UserJun 12, 2007 11:27 AM

• 1.  Ghost console crash - GSS 2.0.1

Posted Jun 08, 2007 02:17 PM

I have a group of computers that cause the Ghost console (GSS 2.0.1) to exit unexpectedly each time I right-click on any of them and select Properties.  No error message is generated.  The computers are HP xw4200’s.  I never had this problem in the previous version of ghost.

Here is the information from the servers Application log:

Faulting application ngcons.exe, version 11.0.1.1533, faulting module ngcons.exe, version 11.0.1.1533, fault address 0x00214de0

Any ideas?

Chris -

• 2.  RE: Ghost console crash - GSS 2.0.1

Posted Jun 08, 2007 03:54 PM
    there are one computer is being move! that cause this {Editted for Content}!
    in machine group

Mod Note: Please do not use any profanities in the the forums. For guidlines please see the Discussion Forums Terms and Conditions.

Thank you.

Message Edited by John_B on 06-08-2007 12:57 PM

• 3.  RE: Ghost console crash - GSS 2.0.1

Posted Jun 08, 2007 04:50 PM
    Could you re-state that answer?

I don't follow what you are saying?

Sorry and thanks.

Chris -

• 4.  RE: Ghost console crash - GSS 2.0.1

Posted Jun 11, 2007 06:32 AM
    Hi Chris,

This looks like a problem Console facing when try to interpret machine data.

Have you run a refresh task on these machines after upgrade? (not the inventory refresh but config refresh).

Could you try deleting one of the machines in Console and let it re-add, and see if the same thing happens?

What is the client OS? If I remember correct, this model has a SCSI hard disk, is that right?

Krish

• 5.  RE: Ghost console crash - GSS 2.0.1

Posted Jun 11, 2007 02:24 PM

Yes several times.

Ok, I was able to delete the system and it was added back very quickly to the Default machine group.  But that didn’t make any difference.  I am going to try uninstalling the client, deleting it from ghost, then re-adding it back to see if that makes a difference.  Not really counting on that.

Is there any way to get into the DB and make the change there or do something?

The client OS is WinXP SP2 and these systems have IDE drives, not SCSI drives.

Chris -

• 6.  RE: Ghost console crash - GSS 2.0.1

Posted Jun 12, 2007 02:59 AM
    Hi,

That's correct, re-installing the client would probably not solve the problem.

I don't think this is related to DB since most likely, this is related to data stored in the disk.

I will send a forum message with the details to you, I would like to see the contents.

Krish

• 7.  RE: Ghost console crash - GSS 2.0.1

Posted Jun 12, 2007 11:27 AM
    So, I just wait to hear back from you?

Chris -

• 8.  RE: Ghost console crash - GSS 2.0.1

Posted Jun 12, 2007 07:19 PM
    Hi,

I already sent a message with details. Once you login to the forum, please check the messages icon in the top row.

Krish

• 9.  RE: Ghost console crash - GSS 2.0.1

Posted Jun 12, 2007 07:33 PM
    Ok, understand and the file has been e-mailed to you.

Chris -

• 10.  RE: Ghost console crash - GSS 2.0.1

Posted Jul 23, 2007 06:27 PM
    I'm getting the same error, however I find that this posting doesn't give any solution.  Here is what I did...

I had ghost version 8. 3, but have now installed 11.

I took a backup of the DB folder from the previous version.
    Uninstalled 8.3
    Installed 11
    Started Ghost Console.  The machines I had in the previous versions connected, however when I select Properties it crashes.

I tried copying over the old DB, however I get an error message when the service tries to start (invalid user name).

Please help

• 11.  RE: Ghost console crash - GSS 2.0.1

Posted Jul 24, 2007 03:30 AM
    Hi Amy,

What kind of a client (brand/model) you have?

We found the reason for the previous issue after analyzing the config files.

Just changing to the old database would not work since the structures are different in two versions. Please replace the DB with the current version.

Did you run a refresh task and see if you can open the properties? If it is the same error (ngcons crash) still it will be able to run the tasks successfully. However, cause could be the same or different to the previous post.

If you get the error after running a refresh task, could you send your contact details since we will need some files from you.

Alternatively, you can call tech support and escalate this.

Krish

• 12.  RE: Ghost console crash - GSS 2.0.1

Posted Jul 26, 2007 10:54 AM
    Client Info:
    XP Pro SP2
    HP xw4200 Intel Pentium 4,  3.2 Ghz, 1.5 GB RAM

I did a refresh of inventory and I get the same results.  How do I give you my contact info w/o posting it here?

I would call Tech Support, however the last time I did I was on hold for 15 minutes - and I couldn't wait any longer.

• 13.  RE: Ghost console crash - GSS 2.0.1

Posted Jul 27, 2007 02:52 AM
    Hi Amy,

Yes, this is the same issue we found with the previous post.

I will see what the best way to send you the patch, I will discuss this with tech support also and get back to you early next week.

Krish

• 14.  RE: Ghost console crash - GSS 2.0.1

Posted Aug 01, 2007 01:49 PM
    Great, I will be waiting for your solution.

thanks,
    Amy

• 15.  RE: Ghost console crash - GSS 2.0.1

Posted Nov 16, 2007 04:18 PM
    Krish,

I have the same thing happen with my Ghost Solution Suite Console. If for whatever reason I have to delete a machine out of a group that already has a Task created for it then when I try to open the Task or Execute it will crash the console. The only resolution to to Delete the Task and recreate it. This is a big hassle since some of my Machine Groups have up to 50 computers in them. Iam running Program Version: 11.0.1.1533. Thanks.

Joshua

• 16.  RE: Ghost console crash - GSS 2.0.1

Posted Nov 25, 2007 01:42 AM
    Hi Joshua,

Sorry for the delay, but your case looks different to the previous one. In that case it happened when opening a specific machine to look properties. In your case, it seems to be tasks that do it.

Does this happen regardless of the type of the task? Even if it is a simple task such as refresh, does it happen?

Krish

• 17.  RE: Ghost console crash - GSS 2.0.1

Posted Dec 04, 2007 12:27 AM
    Hi Josh,

I've just came across a situation like the one you describe and, after talking to Krish, he pointed me to your post. To make sure it is the same situation I encountered, can you please check and let me know what is the scenario of the task that causes the console to crash? For this, right click on the task and select "task scenario". Most probably the culprit is a custom configuration.

Thank you,
    Adina

• 18.  RE: Ghost console crash - GSS 2.0.1

Posted Mar 06, 2008 01:01 PM
    We are having the same issue. GSS 2.01 (11.0.1.1533). Random tasks are causing the console to crash.

Event log: Event ID 1000, Type: error
    Faulting application ngcons.exe, version 11.0.1.1533, faulting module ngcons.exe, version 11.0.1.1533,  fault address 0c00213eeb.

It's pretty random, as I can define a task one day, get properties, edit it and run it. Two days later I may get properties on the same task and it crashes the console. Most tasks indeed include a "custom" configuration.

Server is Win2k3 server standard, SP2. Clients are all WinXP machines in a domain, the custom config task applies the names and moves machines to a workgroup.

We'd appreciate some feedback.

Cheers!

• 19.  RE: Ghost console crash - GSS 2.0.1

Posted Mar 06, 2008 06:00 PM
    This is a known issue related to custom configuration tasks. Basically, if you change the target machine(s), the console will crash when you try to re-open the task. Can you please run the LiveUpdate and update your console to build 1573? If the problem persists, let me know and we'll get a fix for you.

Adina