Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Ghost Disk boots to BSOD error 0x000000B4

• 1.  Ghost Disk boots to BSOD error 0x000000B4

Posted Feb 11, 2015 11:15 AM

Hey,

So my company has been ghosting Win XP computer images to groups of slightly older machines for a non-profit affiliate. Until now everything has gone somewhat okay, but now I am attempting to do a group of gateway computers (MFATXHRN MDP E-4100) and the error I have run into is something new.  I made sure to add the correct LAN and Chipset drivers to the ghost boot disk I created using the boot wizard (Ghost solution suite 11.5). Now though I am get a video card driver failed to initialize error, which does not make sense to me and I cannot seem to find anyone who can explain it so far. I have never seen any indication that the boot disk added any video card drivers, although I could understand if it was as simple as that. Please let me know the answer.

Thank you 

• 2.  RE: Ghost Disk boots to BSOD error 0x000000B4

Posted Feb 11, 2015 11:43 AM

Do the computers have an onboard video card within the chipset as well as an external card plugged into the computer BUS ?   I am wondering if the chipset drivers are partially enabling an integrated card which is failing to initialise.

Essentially, I would go back and remove the chipset drivers as you only usually need LAN drivers and SATA drivers under WinPE.  Check video bios settings are correct as well.

• 3.  RE: Ghost Disk boots to BSOD error 0x000000B4

Posted Feb 11, 2015 11:48 AM

I will try your suggestion out, but to answer your questions. There is only the onboard video card.

• 4.  RE: Ghost Disk boots to BSOD error 0x000000B4

Posted Feb 11, 2015 04:10 PM

So my video configuration in bios is only:

Primary Video Adapter -PCI (only other option is AGP)

Frame Buffer Size -16MB (other otions are 5MB or 1MB)

Also without the Chipset I get a fatal system error 0xC000021A

• 5.  RE: Ghost Disk boots to BSOD error 0x000000B4

Posted Feb 12, 2015 04:48 AM

Are you adding Vista 32 bit drivers to WinPE?  Since WinPE V2 is based on the Vista kernel, it needs Vista drivers.  If you cannot get Vista drivers for this hardware, check out this article:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/creating-and-using-winpe31-image-gss-251

• 6.  RE: Ghost Disk boots to BSOD error 0x000000B4

Posted Feb 12, 2015 09:03 AM

However none of these previous machines were this type. They were all Dells, Intels and Toshibas.

• 7.  RE: Ghost Disk boots to BSOD error 0x000000B4

Posted Feb 12, 2015 09:05 AM

I can check, but I am almost positive when I set this up that I had grabbed the vista drivers I would need. I have already used similiar boot disks on almost a hundred (no exxageration) devices successfully to this point and never had a issue related to they boot disk before. Except maybe the need to create a new one with another network driver on it.

• 8.  RE: Ghost Disk boots to BSOD error 0x000000B4

Posted Feb 12, 2015 05:23 PM

I have no experience of the Gateway brand, but since you have not had problems with other makes, it does suggest that there is something about this hardware that is causing you the problem.  Do you have any other WinPE boot environments that you could try on this hardware? 

• 9.  RE: Ghost Disk boots to BSOD error 0x000000B4

Posted Feb 13, 2015 08:56 AM

Not really, but possibly good news is that the Vista driver article might work as the Chipset driver I was using is not technically a Vista compatible driver. It is possible that that may be the solution I need.

• 10.  RE: Ghost Disk boots to BSOD error 0x000000B4

Posted Feb 13, 2015 09:00 AM

The motherboard is a Intel Desktop Board and though I have done ghosting with no issues on this type of Motherboard before this model does not have driver support for Vista which could explain the issue

• 11.  RE: Ghost Disk boots to BSOD error 0x000000B4

Posted Feb 13, 2015 09:15 AM

By the way, I was curious about why Symantec would ever decide to use Vista as a platform. Do you know because Vista is not exactly my first choice.

• 12.  RE: Ghost Disk boots to BSOD error 0x000000B4

Posted Feb 13, 2015 12:04 PM

Yes, I do know. When the Ghost 2.5 product was released, Windows 7 was still in development, so the most recent release of WinPE was based on the Vista kernel, which was the most recent at that time.

Since the version 3.0 product was not released several years ago, and the original Ghost development team was disbanded, only incremental patches have been released since that time. Fortunately, the product has now been subject to some serious development and version 3 is due for release in the middle of next month. This will feature a much more up to date release of WinPE based, I believe, on the Windows 8 kernel.

• 13.  RE: Ghost Disk boots to BSOD error 0x000000B4

Posted Feb 13, 2015 03:30 PM

Oohh ... interesting! Makes sense, though I think that they are following the wrong Windows pattern being that its the next OS that should be well done those are their "experimental" operating systems it seemed like. But I digress, I am going to try an use that article on the chipset driver and see if it works.