Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Ghost does not detect the Virtual Disk on R710

Posted Apr 25, 2013 09:14 AM

Running Ghost 11.5

Server is a R710

I'm trying to restore an image on our R710 but Ghost does not detect the virtual drive.  The BIOS sees the drive just fine, but not Ghost, any suggestions? 

• 2.  RE: Ghost does not detect the Virtual Disk on R710

Posted Apr 25, 2013 12:26 PM

Is it a UEFI bios? Ghost does not work with UEFI bioses.

If not that, then can I assume you are booting WinPE?  If so, have you added the correct Vista 32 bit drivers for your NIC and SATA chipsets?  (WinPE V2 uses the Vista kernel so needs Vista 32 bit drivers)

You may find Win 2003 Server drivers may work if your server vendor does not provide Vista drivers

• 3.  RE: Ghost does not detect the Virtual Disk on R710

Posted Apr 25, 2013 01:03 PM

Let me answer your questions first:

1.  I do not believe that the R710 has a UEFI bios because in the past we have taken and applied images to our other R710's with no problem.

2.  Yes I'm booting WinPE

3.  I have not intentionally loaded the Vista32 drivers so if it’s not automatic then No

My questions:

Do I require the above mentioned drives to apply an image to a virtual disk? 

If so I can get access to the drives but do not know where to place them in the Ghost bootable drive we use so that they would be initialized.

As additional information this is not an unusual procedure for use so we are miffed to why Ghost cannot see the virtual Drive.

• 4.  RE: Ghost does not detect the Virtual Disk on R710

Posted Apr 25, 2013 01:54 PM

Can you clarify what you mean by Virtual drive?  I am unfamiliar with the R710 so it would be helpful to understand how this machine has its disks configured.

• 5.  RE: Ghost does not detect the Virtual Disk on R710

Posted Apr 25, 2013 02:09 PM

Absolutely,

the Disks are configured in RAID5, is that the information you needed?

• 6.  RE: Ghost does not detect the Virtual Disk on R710

Posted Apr 26, 2013 07:36 AM

Not sure how this makes it a virtual drive, or are you describing the resultant RAID array as a virtual drive?

However as it's a RAID array, have you added the required RAID drivers to WinPE?  

These two articles may help:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH110134

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/do-i-have-correct-driver-winpe

Ultimately, WinPE is nothing more than a command line cut down version of the full blown windows operating system, so it needs the same hardware drivers that you would add when installing the server operating system in respect of the hard disk subsystem and the NIC subsystem.