Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Ghost DOS driver for Win 7 optiplex 9020

• 1.  Ghost DOS driver for Win 7 optiplex 9020

Posted Mar 19, 2014 02:03 PM

Hello All,

I am trying to add a driver to my ghost wizard so i can image some new PC's, I have the old e1000 DOS driver for the last version of win 7. however it does not have the correct drivers for the new computers, The nic cards are I217-LM and I downlaoded the drivers from intel, but when i create a network boot (USB) and try to run it, i get a message that states the config is too large for memory and the boot stops. My ghost server is version 11.5.1.2266, the pc's are dell optiplex 9020's loaded with 7 and an extra disc to upgrade to 8, i will not be upgrading them at this point.

Thank you Dave

• 2.  RE: Ghost DOS driver for Win 7 optiplex 9020

Posted Mar 19, 2014 03:22 PM

This sounds like a problem in either autoexec.bat or config.sys - have you checked the settings that boot disk wizard creates?

Can't you just copy the new dos driver to you old boot disk or have you tried that aready?

Pete

• 3.  RE: Ghost DOS driver for Win 7 optiplex 9020

Posted Mar 19, 2014 03:34 PM

Post your config.sys and autoexec.bat here in the forum so that we can see whether there is any upper memory management being used and whether there are some items being loaded that you can do without.

• 4.  RE: Ghost DOS driver for Win 7 optiplex 9020

Posted Mar 19, 2014 04:23 PM

Pete,

thanks for looking in on my issue, i have one USB with a win 7 image that does work, but will not work on the new pc's, I did try to download just the DOS driver, but I think i am getting the package not just the driver. I will get a snapshot by in the morning and post it so you can look at it.

Thank you,

• 5.  RE: Ghost DOS driver for Win 7 optiplex 9020

Posted Mar 19, 2014 05:26 PM

Dave,

I am unclear what you mean by "one USB with a win 7 image" and what a DOS driver has to do with it?

Pete

• 6.  RE: Ghost DOS driver for Win 7 optiplex 9020

Posted Mar 20, 2014 09:25 AM

Yes, this is unclear.

I can understand having a dos bootable USB key which includes a driver stack to provide basic networking for the local NIC to allow an image to be pulled down over the network, but with a modern USB stick, it would be even easier to put the image on the USB stick and just run Ghost from DOS on the stick and image locally without involving the network at all.

Frankly, using a DOS boot with modern hardware is like using a starting handle on a race car. WinPE works equally well from a USB key and you can support modern hardware much more easily. Better still, use a USB hard disk and put your images on there as it will image a lot faster than over a network.

• 7.  RE: Ghost DOS driver for Win 7 optiplex 9020

Posted Mar 20, 2014 10:58 AM

Sorry to be unclear,

I mean, i use a USB drive to start the pc and boot to symantec ghost, this lets me go to unicast to image or create an image to the pc, on the 990 or 960 dells the current DOS driver works fine, on the new 9020's when i boot with that USB the ghostcast is grayed out. In the past that has indicated a driver issue, so I am looking for the correct driver to be able to unicast to a 9020.

Thank you all,

Ghost.png

• 8.  RE: Ghost DOS driver for Win 7 optiplex 9020

Posted Mar 20, 2014 11:01 AM

Dave,

I would do as EdT suggest create a WinPE USB stick with Ghost32\64 using version 4 which will include the correct drivers out of the box. This is a free download to anyone:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/hh825486.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39982

It doesn't matter that it is 8.1 version it will run Ghost32\64 fine for imaging anything.

Pete

• 9.  RE: Ghost DOS driver for Win 7 optiplex 9020

Posted Mar 20, 2014 11:48 AM

Pete and Ed,

Thank you both,

My goal is to take a pc and add all the apps needed for that group of users and then image it, once done, i can deploy that image to multplie pc's, it sounds like EdT has a good idea to create one image and put in on a USB drive then i can deploy them locally.

However, I have not used this meathod before, the old days i just pulled the HD and attched it to the host pc and bam new image, now we use ghost over the network as EdT stated, so i will do some more reseach into this issue.

• 10.  RE: Ghost DOS driver for Win 7 optiplex 9020

Posted Mar 20, 2014 01:33 PM

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/adventures-winpe-31?om_ext_cid=biz_con_cmgr_cp_20120221_pm

This will get you started on WinPE V3, and WinPE V4/5 is pretty similar should you prefer to build the version that uses the Windows 8.1 kernel.

• 11.  RE: Ghost DOS driver for Win 7 optiplex 9020

Posted Mar 20, 2014 03:41 PM

its a lot easier to do this than you think.  you have options for having the drivers and apps in the image, or installed afterwards by SCCM or GPO.

you can even have the USB stick have the ghost boot image on it so it phones home to the server to get the restore task

• 12.  RE: Ghost DOS driver for Win 7 optiplex 9020

Posted Mar 20, 2014 04:29 PM

Long story short, i had the correct driver to make this work, i did not add it to my ghost dos images correctly, once added the ghost cast worked normally.

Thank you,

• 13.  RE: Ghost DOS driver for Win 7 optiplex 9020

Posted Mar 21, 2014 08:37 AM

ah yes.  you have to remember to check the box to include the driver after you add it to the list!

• 14.  RE: Ghost DOS driver for Win 7 optiplex 9020

Posted Apr 25, 2014 01:24 PM

DaveSR,

What driver did you use to get it to work? I have tried every driver for WinPE and none of them work. I've also tried the Dos driver and it would not image either. I get polling for bound server, which IS a driver issue. We have the GX9020's with the I217-LM network card.

Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

D

• 15.  RE: Ghost DOS driver for Win 7 optiplex 9020

Posted Jun 08, 2014 11:39 PM

Anyone have any luck?  I'm stuck using winpe 2 and have 120 of these 9020's that need to go into production ASAP.  I've tried Vista,  Win7 and 8 drivers without any luck.  

• 16.  RE: Ghost DOS driver for Win 7 optiplex 9020

Posted Jun 09, 2014 06:01 AM

There are various articles available discussing how to update to WinPE3 and still retain (most) of the GSS functionality. Try these:

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/winpe-30-gss-251

Also read this thread for the links to two of Terry Bu's articles:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/intel-i217-lm-driver-winpe-vista-or-other-solution

• 17.  RE: Ghost DOS driver for Win 7 optiplex 9020

Posted Jun 09, 2014 08:29 AM

reading that thread is very helpful, since it relates to not having a VISTA driver needed for new hardware.  I will also paste the 2 articles i wrote about this:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/creating-and-using-winpe31-image-gss-251

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/faking-drivers-gss-251-winpe-31

• 18.  RE: Ghost DOS driver for Win 7 optiplex 9020

Posted Jun 09, 2014 05:21 PM

I solved my problem and I hope it can help someone else.

I used this site to (http://www.petenetlive.com/KB/Article/0000218.htm) create a boot disk and it seems to have solved my issue. I can boot into ghost and image my Dell 9020. I did have to used Ghost64 instead of Ghost32, but after a few trweaks it worked. 

Now I will tackle adding the client so I can Multicast.

• 19.  RE: Ghost DOS driver for Win 7 optiplex 9020

Posted Sep 12, 2014 07:50 PM

Hey Dave,

I just read your post and I have the same exact issue with the same exact models of Dells we just purchased. You mind sharing how you were able to add the new drivers to the ghost key?

Thank you

• 20.  RE: Ghost DOS driver for Win 7 optiplex 9020

Posted Mar 06, 2015 01:50 PM

Hey there.   Recently we recieved some Dell 7020 and 9020.  And searching around the internet to find there is not a solution for the network driver nor the storage driver for Ghost Server Suite 11.5.1.2266.

I created a driver set that you can put into Ghost Server (your winpe).  Done. no changing WinPE models etc.

Once you add both the network driver and the storage driver (via Ghost Boot wizard) you can push and pull from machines with ghost clients. Also make a Ghost winPE usb / CDRom boot disc as well.

And yes you get an actual IP from your DHCP server, no tricks.

The dell 7020 and 9020 use the I217-LM for network.

btw: remember with all .inf you have to make sure your VEN/DEV/SUBSYS/CC all match up properly.

so when ghost console tasks log gives an error it actually points out this information as well.

so if Dell changes their subsys identifer changed you need to modify your .inf to match.

Dell 7020/9020 NIC: VEN_8086&DEV_153A&SUBSYS_05A41028

So if you need this driver set, send me a pm or reply here

if Symmantec wants the driver set to validate and add then they can also let me know.

• 21.  RE: Ghost DOS driver for Win 7 optiplex 9020

Posted Mar 17, 2015 10:04 AM

Hi Terry,

We are currently having this issues for imaging a LAB here at University.

Did you created an How-To for your procedure for Ghost Boot Wizard? LOL

Will try your trcik this morning and will give you feedback.

Ducky

• 22.  RE: Ghost DOS driver for Win 7 optiplex 9020

Posted Mar 18, 2015 11:15 AM

Hello Terry

Thanks for your reply on the Symantec boarad.

We'\re having the same issue.

Could I trouble you for the driver set you mentioned?

Thank you

Dan N.

• 23.  RE: Ghost DOS driver for Win 7 optiplex 9020

Posted Mar 18, 2015 11:29 AM

if you are asking about the guides i made, they are linked above, but here they are again!

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/c...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/f...

• 24.  RE: Ghost DOS driver for Win 7 optiplex 9020

Posted Mar 18, 2015 12:15 PM

hi terry.  i have a driver set that works.  no need to update the PE or anything just simply add the driver set and you are done.  just like before.

• 25.  RE: Ghost DOS driver for Win 7 optiplex 9020

Posted Mar 18, 2015 12:16 PM

yes.  the how-to do is simple actually now.

i will post to symantec the solution.

• 26.  RE: Ghost DOS driver for Win 7 optiplex 9020

Posted Mar 18, 2015 06:19 PM

Hey there should be a article available soon.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-make-i217-network-adapter-work-gss-251-winpe

i will have another one for 7020 for their storage device driver too.

I have confirmed with others that i emailed this process to eariler and they have had it working in Dell 7020-9020-9030 and HP laptops.  And one is using this procedure to see if it will work for the i218 as well.

if you need the solution quicker than waiting for the article please contact me.