Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Ghost Error 662- Access Denied when ghosting to External USB Hard Drive

Posted Jun 01, 2012 04:47 PM

I am attempting to ghost a computer but keep getting access denied messages when trying to create the image.  I created a Ghost Boot Disk using the Symantec Ghost Console 11.5.  I am using a 1 TB External USB hard drive to store images.  When I try to ghost my computer, I receive the Ghost Error 662 error.  I checked permissions on the folder I am trying to ghost to on the hard drive and it has full permission for Everybody on the local system.

I also have a USB mouse and keyboard plugged into this system.

Any suggestions?  It tells me more info will be found in ghosterr.txt but I am unable to locate that log file.

• 2.  RE: Ghost Error 662- Access Denied when ghosting to External USB Hard Drive

Posted Jun 02, 2012 11:47 AM

You have not specified whether you are booting to DOS or WinPE.  If you are using DOS, then that is where your problem lies, as DOS has severe limitations with any modern hardware, and if you happen to have formatted your external USB drive as NTFS, DOS will be unable to read it.

• 3.  RE: Ghost Error 662- Access Denied when ghosting to External USB Hard Drive

Posted Jun 05, 2012 06:58 AM

Hello,

Please try the solution mentioned in link below and let us know if it resolves your issue

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/on-technology.nsf/293a5302ae81e39288256ebb0049cfe7/a22b45e5488003c38825734e0059c32f?OpenDocument

Regards,

Nitin

• 4.  RE: Ghost Error 662- Access Denied when ghosting to External USB Hard Drive

Posted Jun 05, 2012 07:01 AM

Meanwhile also confirm the possiblities of disabling Write Access to USB Hard Disk and Flash Key Drives in customer environement. You can check the following key in registry

1. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control
    2. Check whether Key named as StorageDevicePolicies is present
    3. Under this key, DWORD (32-bit) value named as WriteProtect is present with value data set to 1

You can refer the article to disable write access to usb HDD and flash drive

http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-disable-write-access-to-usb-hard-disk-and-flash-key-drives/