Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Ghost MultiCast crashes at 1% while trying to ghost Win 8, on Dell 9020 AIO

Posted Jul 01, 2014 10:52 AM

I finally am able to boot my Dell 9020 and was able to image a Win 8.1 image up to our server. The problem I'm having now is when I attempt to Multicast to them (Dell 9020) it goes through the launch sequence (pc-dos, connects to server, GUI pops up) but when it begins to push the image it crashes and goes back to the pc-dos screen.

I've tried several Win 8 images. It will work with windows 7 but not not 8 or 8.1. I know it's not the image because I'm able to ghost the same image onto our older Lenovo's. I've changed the setting in the BIOS from RAID to ATA and even tried SATA, but no joy. It will ghost the same image using the USB I created both up and down, so I'm stuck. 

I just sucessfully reimaged 3 machines by using the boot USB and running a Multi Cast session from the pc, but it still crashes when I try to push from the Ghost console. I have over 500 computers on different floors and don't want to have to touch each one in order to ghost them.

Any direction would be appreciated.

Thank you

• 2.  RE: Ghost MultiCast crashes at 1% while trying to ghost Win 8, on Dell 9020 AIO

Posted Jul 01, 2014 03:39 PM

Do you have IGMP snooping enabled on your network switches?  Does Unicast work for the Win 8 image?

What precise version of Ghost are you using?  Have you tried WinPE as DOS is not going to be able to handle modern hard disks, not only due to interface issues, but also due to DOS's limitations in terms of hard disk capacity it can handle.  If the DELL has advanced format hard disks, you really need to move to WinPE.

• 3.  RE: Ghost MultiCast crashes at 1% while trying to ghost Win 8, on Dell 9020 AIO

Posted Jul 02, 2014 01:43 PM

With the network card in the 9020 you really have not other choice than to create your own updated WinPE. The DOS drivers simply can't do the job and there are no Vista drivers for the 9020 to use with the PE included in Ghost. Here are a few guides out there, here is a link to mine that many have had good luck with.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/winpe-30-gss-251#comment-9422871

I've also been able to get the Ghost patched binaries and create a x64 PE that will image EUFI enabled machines.