Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Ghost not working since BIOS Update (T440)

Posted Sep 24, 2014 02:43 AM

Hello guys,

I don't know which informations you exactly need to maybe help me in this case. So I share everything I can.

We already used T440 and Ghost to boot via PXE and image it with our customized image.

We received our new delivery which are BIOS updated. The old BIOS version was GJET76WW (2.26) and the new BIOS version is now GJET78WW (2.28).

In the new BIOS version I receive the errormessage "Cannot create a File Preservation Metadata File at path ".".

I hope you can help me.

Thank you.

• 2.  RE: Ghost not working since BIOS Update (T440)

Posted Sep 24, 2014 10:01 AM

What have you tried so far?  You didn't actually share very much information, such as version of Ghost and also what you are PXE booting to (eg DOS, WinPE Linux.)

I would suggest that entering the error message into Google is a good place to start. If you need help with this, follow this link:

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=Cannot+create+a+File+Preservation+Metadata+File+at+path

I had a look at the first hit and this pretty much answers the most usual issues, so in case the above is not yielding results you can work with, try the following link:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/cannot-create-file-preservation-metadata-file-path-error-40217-hp-2730p-version-115

• 3.  RE: Ghost not working since BIOS Update (T440)

Posted Sep 25, 2014 01:52 AM

I've found a "solution". It seems strange. Really strange.

I start the pxe boot, the errormessage occurs. I reset BIOS settings and try it again. It works.

But when it works and I don't do anything so I get a timeout and reboot its not working again until I reset BIOS settings. Currently I use PC DOS to boot from it.

• 4.  RE: Ghost not working since BIOS Update (T440)

Posted Sep 25, 2014 02:16 PM

The general advice for modern hardware is to use WinPE rather than DOS due to the many limitations of DOS, such as no SATA support and limited hard disk support for large disks and advanced format disks. This is not really a Ghost problem and I would therefore suggest having a chat with Lenovo who I believe make the T440, in case they have removed full DOS support from the latest bios.