Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Ghost Solution Suite 2.5.1 multicasting slow on new Windows 7/8 computers (no vista drivers available)

Posted Sep 05, 2013 11:40 AM

Hi

I have had severe GSS 2.5.1 multicasting performance issues with my organizations new computers. Two different brands and models: HP ProBook 4340S and Lenovo Thinkpad E531. Both have one thing in common, no Vista drivers are available. I have been able to use GSS with Windows 7 drivers impersonating as Vista drivers, but if I try to multicast to more than approximately 5 computers then the transfer rate will be less then 4 MB/s on average. Thats 60-90 MB per minute when our decommissioned 6 year old computers got 600+ MB per minute while pushing the image to 20 computers simultaneously.

I have tried different switches, ports and cables to no avail, the Lenovos are connected to switches that have multicasted fine for over 5 years. Multicasting still works fine on older computers from Windows XP and Vista timeframe.

Is this a known issue, or should multicasting be working fine on new computers for which I have to use Windows 7 SATA and LAN drivers?

• 2.  RE: Ghost Solution Suite 2.5.1 multicasting slow on new Windows 7/8 computers (no vista drivers available)

Posted Sep 05, 2013 07:57 PM

I assume its a Realtek NIC .Use the (Vista ) drivers from the link mentioned below .Uncheck the Windows 7 driver you added, before recreating the boot package,

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=5229480&prodNameId=5269086&swEnvOID=4052&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=ob-110949-1

Extract the drivers to a folder and point to the "extract_folder\WINVISTA\NDIS6\32 " folder while adding drivers.

• 3.  RE: Ghost Solution Suite 2.5.1 multicasting slow on new Windows 7/8 computers (no vista drivers available)

Posted Sep 06, 2013 10:00 AM

My memory has failed me, I have actually been using Vista LAN drivers for the WinPE environment on the HP ProBook 4340S laptops. Chipset drivers are from Windows 7. Lenovo does not provide official Vista drivers for the Thinkpad Edge E531 series, only XP, 7 and 8.

I heard from a colleague from another organization who has also noticed that GSS multicasting is much slower with new computers. Are we the only ones who have encountered this problem? Are we doing something wrong?

• 4.  RE: Ghost Solution Suite 2.5.1 multicasting slow on new Windows 7/8 computers (no vista drivers available)

Posted Sep 06, 2013 11:56 AM

I had an interesting day. I pushed a new image to the Lenovos in two groups, first to 9 and now to 16 computers. The first batch was a bit slow as "usual", push rate from the server was 130-140 MB per minute. The second batch cought me by surprise, the server pushed 800+ MB per minute. This room used to house 20 computers that were six years old and six computers about one year old. The networking hardware for the space is the same as it was before the Lenovos.

I think it is safe to say that the low multicasting performance I have seen so far with larger groups of Lenovos (more then five) is not caused by WinPE drivers.